Hope I'm not too late to this particular party, but...

Watching the NPR live stream from Newport Folk earlier, I was blown away by The Milk Carton Kids. They're an acoustic duo reminiscent of Simon & Garfunkel. Tremendous harmonies and some great guitar work. I immediately bought all three of their albums (the first two are actually available for free on their site).

Anyway, I urge anyone who may be into that genre to check them out.

I am on that bandwagon.  They opened for Punch Brothers when I saw them in December and when I got home, went straight to their site and downloaded Prologue and Retrospect.  They're witty, clever songwriters and their harmonies are really special.  Kenneth Pattengale is one of the best acoustic guitarists I've seen.  They have some very funny schtick onstage too.

This video of "Michigan" probably gives you a good idea of what they do, if you haven't heard them.

The lyrics of their song "Permanent" really resonate for me.  

I am on that bandwagon. They opened for Punch Brothers when I saw them in December and when I got home, went straight to their site and downloaded Prologue and Retrospect. They're witty, clever songwriters and their harmonies are really special. Kenneth Pattengale is one of the best acoustic guitarists I've seen. They have some very funny schtick onstage too.

This video of "Michigan" probably gives you a good idea of what they do, if you haven't heard them.

Is Kenneth the one who plays the old Martin? He's really, really good.

• 9 months later...

For those of us who are going to Newport Folk Festival in July and are fans of the Milk Carton Kids (I know there are at least 2 of us, twoshedjackson), NFF announced an aftershow on Friday evening for the Milk Carton Kids Revue at the Jane Pickens Theater in Newport.  Tickets go on sale Monday, May 19 at 10AM.  I'm going to go if I can get a ticket.  Looks like an easy walk from my hotel too.

http://www.newportfolk.org/newport-folk-presents

I went to one of those after show concerts at the Jane Perkins a couple years ago after Wilco played at Newport.  Dawes, Conor Oberst, and Jackson Browne showed up as a surprise.  Cool stuff.  I may go to this depending on who else is playing, or try to go to the one that Deer Tick has.  When we went, it was sold out but they sold us a ticket at the door because there were no shows.

For those of us who are going to Newport Folk Festival in July and are fans of the Milk Carton Kids (I know there are at least 2 of us, twoshedjackson), NFF announced an aftershow on Friday evening for the Milk Carton Kids Revue at the Jane Pickens Theater in Newport. Tickets go on sale Monday, May 19 at 10AM. I'm going to go if I can get a ticket. Looks like an easy walk from my hotel too.

Damn. Friday's the only day we're not going.

How were they in Chicago? Also, what did you think of Eldridge & Lage?

For those of us who are going to Newport Folk Festival in July and are fans of the Milk Carton Kids (I know there are at least 2 of us, twoshedjackson), NFF announced an aftershow on Friday evening for the Milk Carton Kids Revue at the Jane Pickens Theater in Newport.  Tickets go on sale Monday, May 19 at 10AM.  I'm going to go if I can get a ticket.  Looks like an easy walk from my hotel too.

There are more than 2 of us. Me too! We should try to set up a rendezvous somewhere. I'm also going to try getting into this aftershow.

There are more than 2 of us. Me too! We should try to set up a rendezvous somewhere. I'm also going to try getting into this aftershow.

Glad you are a fan!  Rendezvous sounds good.  I'll be there on my own, so will be glad to make some new friends.  An aftershow will seriously test my stamina, but hey, I'll sleep when I'm dead, right?  Don't think I can pass this one up.  If Nickel Creek does one, I'll be in for that one too.

Damn. Friday's the only day we're not going.

How were they in Chicago? Also, what did you think of Eldridge & Lage?

Sorry you won't be able to make it for this one!  Hopefully, will have a chance to meet you and your wife over the weekend.  The Chicago MCK show may have been my favorite of the 4 times I've seen them so far.  They sounded immaculate and played 3 new ones from an upcoming album.  Of course, the Old Town School of Folk Music is kind of my happy place, and ended up getting last-minute tickets for my sister and brother-in-law to come along, so that was extra fun. I could seriously watch Kenneth Pattengale play guitar all day long every day of the week. 

I liked Eldridge and Lage even better than last time.  Chris did more vocals this time around.  I noticed Julian was playing that beautiful old Martin too, and thought of you. Wow, what a magnificent player he is.

I am on that bandwagon.  They opened for Punch Brothers when I saw them in December and when I got home, went straight to their site and downloaded Prologue and Retrospect.  They're witty, clever songwriters and their harmonies are really special.  Kenneth Pattengale is one of the best acoustic guitarists I've seen.  They have some very funny schtick onstage too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z8Yop3KI-o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufCOqkgnSzY

This is such a great song. Wish they'd come to Australia.

EDIT: Just saw they were in Australia. Last year. Had no idea who they were then.

Sorry you won't be able to make it for this one! Hopefully, will have a chance to meet you and your wife over the weekend. The Chicago MCK show may have been my favorite of the 4 times I've seen them so far. They sounded immaculate and played 3 new ones from an upcoming album. Of course, the Old Town School of Folk Music is kind of my happy place, and ended up getting last-minute tickets for my sister and brother-in-law to come along, so that was extra fun. I could seriously watch Kenneth Pattengale play guitar all day long every day of the week.

I liked Eldridge and Lage even better than last time. Chris did more vocals this time around. I noticed Julian was playing that beautiful old Martin too, and thought of you. Wow, what a magnificent player he is.

That was a great week of shows for you!

Chris Eldridge had lost his voice when I saw them, so it was all instrumental. He couldn't even talk between songs. Still a great performance.

We'll definitely have to do a meet-up at Newport. One of us needs to get a thread going on that one...

That lead guitar player really really wants to be Dave Rawlings…it's kind of embarrassing.

How is it embarrassing? They're both incredible players, and every player has wanted to be someone else at some point. Just enjoy the music.

• 2 months later...

Just got a notice that the Milk Carton Kids are cancelling all their dates in August and September.

Due to vocal strain, The Milk Carton Kids regrettably have to cancel their August and September dates. Please accept our deepest apologies, Doctor’s orders.  Tickets purchased on line and held at the Barrymore will automatically be refunded. 

I had noticed at Newport that Joey Ryan didn't join in the Jack White jam at the end of his set and also didn't participate in the Watkins Family Hour jam on Sunday night, though Kenneth did, so I assume it's Joey that has the vocal issue.  They both sounded great at the aftershow on Friday and the festival set on Saturday.  I'd planned to drive up to Madison next week to see them, so I'm bummed out to miss that, but hope Joey's voice is healed soon.