Jeff Tweedy - 6 August 2018 Missoula Montana (Travelers' Rest Fest)

Hey all, I'm assuming since bböp hasn't posted anything (and the fact that I didn't see him), means we're bböpless for this recap. I, unfortunately, am no bböp, but gosh darnit I'll give it my best shot.

First up, no setlist, though someone nearby was keeping track, maybe they are on here and will post?? 

It was only a 60 minute set, stalwarts like California Stars, Jesus Etc, Locator, Misunderstood, Hummingbird, I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, Not For The Season, and I'm The Man Who Loves You were played. Uncle Tupelo's New Madrid and We've Been Had Were also played. Four new songs were played including Let's Go Rain, Bomb's Above, what I believe to be New Wave Theatre, and another one that I couldn't place. It sort of reminded me of The Joke Explained. Someone asked "Where's Bob?" after that, I'm assuming they mean Dylan.

Jeff seemed to be in a good mood. It probably helped that there was a pretty well behaved crowd, especially for a festival. There was lots of singing along on the "classics" and everyone did a great job participating in Let's Go Rain. As he's done a lot recently, Jeff tried to do the harmonies on California Stars with the crowd doing the lead, to which he said "some of you are doing better than others". 

As usual, some guy started yelling out song requests, which makes other guys empowered to yell out their own requests. Jeff declined Pecan Pie and some other songs when someone requested Capitol City to which Jeff laughed "that's definitely not going to happen" [i'm paraphrasing]. Jeff also told some fairly obnoxious individual, who was shouting along to a mellow rendition of Misunderstood, to shut up.

Jeff told a story that he thought happened in Missoula, turns out it was actually Bozeman, that Uncle Tupelo played there in their early days and Colin Meloy was one of the few people to show up. He then played We've Been Had for him. Similarly, during The Decemberists first encore, before they played Everything Is Awful, Colin warned the crowd they were about to bring everyone down (after a terrific performance of The Crane Wife album in full) and that they should have Jeff up there to help. I have to agree that Everything Is Awful is a song Jeff might appreciate. 

The best (banter) moment of Jeff's performance was after the had difficulty whistling, to which he blamed the dry air. Someone from the crowd asked if he had water and Jeff explained that he's neurotic (his word) and as soon as water touches his lips he'll have to go pee and it's all he'll be able to think about. I'm the same way Jeff.

I should also point out Mavis played earlier in the day and she did a beautiful version of You're Not Alone. 

All in all, a great set from Jeff and a great festival in all. If you're looking for a fun laid back fest to go to, I can't recommend Traveler's Rest enough. 

EDITED:

Setlist ruthlessly stolen from Zack on the Facebook group. Thanks Zack!

Bombs Above
I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
New Madrid 
New Wave Theater
Hummingbird
Let's Go Rain
Passenger Side
Locator
California Star
Laminated Cat
Jesus Etc
We’ve Been Had
??? (Anyone help me out here? It has the lyric “I love to take you down and leave you there”)
I’m The Man Who Loves You
Misunderstood