White Wooden Cross

This version just knocks me out every time. I can't see a roadside cross anymore without the melody and words starting in my head..."What would I do, if a white wooden cross meant that I'd lost you?" So poignant.

• 4 weeks later...

It's interesting, he shared in a story that he had the idea for this song when jogging in Maine and he saw a roadside memorial. Maine is where famed mastering engineer Bob Ludwig's studio is. I can't remember what album was getting mastered at the time, but the idea of getting a new Wilco song on a jog, at the place where another album was getting its finishing touches is evidence of the endless creative spirit in that guy, which I get tons of inspiration from.

• 3 weeks later...

"White Wooden Cross" means a lot to me. First, I think it's one of the best Wilco tunes among the last few albums. But the lyrics also carry personal voltage: After my brother was killed in a car crash (a long time ago), a roadside memorial was erected and I can't hear this song and see its imagery without internalizing its meanings in very specific, raw-nerve ways.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Beltmann said:

"White Wooden Cross" means a lot to me. First, I think it's one of the best Wilco tunes among the last few albums. But the lyrics also carry personal voltage: After my brother was killed in a car crash (a long time ago), a roadside memorial was erected and I can't hear this song and see its imagery without internalizing its meanings in very specific, raw-nerve ways.

I remember when you lost him. I can imagine that this song is deeply personal for you. Hugs.