In April, I bought Jay Bennett’s Tascam MS-16 reel-to-reel tape recorder.

Hi all.

I bought a 30 IPS professional Tascam MS-16 reel-to-reel in April for sale on Reverb. I had been looking for a working multitrack tape recorder to record my debut album, Pleistocene Dreams. 
It turns out the machine resided at the Loft, Jay Bennett and Matt Dewine’s  Pieholden Suite Sound Studio, and Neal Francis’s private studio. It was used for many recording sessions, including “The Palace at 4 AM” by Jay Bennett and Edward Burch, and some “Wilco demos” that were recorded in 2000ish at the Loft.

I bought it, and now it resides in my home studio and is being serviced and used regularly. 

Do any of you all know the full history behind this one of a kind piece of recording equipment? I’ve been told quite a few things about it’s history and provenance, but wanted to see if any of you all might have some stories you know about it. 

Thanks!

Ryan 

30A3DD57-C15F-4854-9FDB-4198681547F6.jpeg

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, kidsmoke said:

He's a great guy. He's right, you've got a charmed machine there...keep it making music. :spider2

Thanks!

I just released my debut album that was recorded entirely on it.

If you’d like to check it out sometime, it’s at ryandowningmusic.bandcamp.com 

-Ryan