Golden Smog — 02 and 03 April 2022, Minneapolis, MN (First Avenue)

When this gig was originally scheduled for First Ave's 50th Anniversary in 2020, Tweedy was scheduled to be on the West Coast for Wilco Dates. I had tickets for Vegas/Brooklyn Bowl. Due to a global pandemic, the make-up dates for First Ave's 52nd Anniversary allowed both Tweedy and yours truly to be in attendance. Thanks COVID?!?

I thought the shows were amazing, better than even I remembered them in the '90s and early '00s. I thought the Saturday show had a little more energy (though that could just be that I had more pep) but I think I preferred Sunday's song selection just a little better. Pretty much a draw.

I think both Louris and Tweedy appreciate not having to be the focal point for over 90 minutes, though in Jayhawks shows he always seems supportive when the others in the band get a song here and there. Also great to see Tweedy play bass for a few numbers and Sammy killed it on Helpless. I truly commend Jody Stephens who is going to turn 70 this year. Still has his fastball behind the kit. Jessy Green was also there, which elevates Radio King even more than seems possible.

Gary commented that they turned down the Grammy’s to play this show. I say good call! I think the 2nd encore on Sunday was truly a reaction to the enthusiasm of the crowd. The house lights were on and the PA came on for a few seconds before they returned.

Night #1 (courtesy The Current)

Looking Forward to Seeing You
Lost Love
To Call My Own
V
Yesterday Cried
Glad and Sorry (Faces cover)
Red Headed Stepchild
Starman (David Bowie cover)
Walk Where He Walked
He’s a Dick
Pecan Pie
Ill Fated
Long Time Ago
Signed D.C. (Love cover)
I Can’t Keep From Talking
Won’t Be Coming Home
You Make it Easy
Love and Mercy (Brian Wilson cover)
If I Only Had a Car
Corvette

Encore:
Radio King
Listen Joe
Helpless (Neil Young cover; Sam Tweedy on vocal)
Until You Came Along

Night #2 (courtesy Setlist.com)

Looking Forward to Seeing You

Lost Love

To Call My Own

V

Making Waves

Glad & Sorry (Faces Cover)

Red Headed Stepchild

All the Same to Me

Easy to Be Hard (Galt MacDermot cover)

Frying Pan Eyes

Listen Joe

Long Time Ago

Pecan Pie

You Make it Easy

Ill Fated

Strangers (The Kinks cover)

Scotch on Ice

She Don’t Have to see You

Won’t Be Coming Home

I Can’t Keep From Talking

If I Only Had a Car

Encore #1

Please Tell My Brother

Radio King

Helpless (NY Cover) Sammy Tweedy vocal

Until You Came Along (w/ Sammy)

Encore #2

Revolution Blues

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, aricandover said:

Nugs.net cut the feed on the 4.3 show before they came back to play Revolution Blues. Jerks. 

All indications were the show was over, looked liked they gave the signal when they left the stage after Until You Came Along that they were done. Techs were starting to clean up, house music came on and I even think the big screen/curtain was coming down.

All the 100s of shows I have been to First Ave, it's been maybe 3 or 4 that I can think of where there was an additional encore like that, were the performers were truly reacting on an impromptu basis to go back on stage. Pretty cool.

• Analogman changed the title to Golden Smog — 02 and 03 April 2022, Minneapolis, MN (First Avenue)
  • 1 month later...
16 hours ago, texasjefe said:

I had close friends at the Sunday show, bought the Sunday Nugs stream, and was so mad at Nugs for only allowing a very short replay window.  

If anyone has full show audio or video of either night, please PM me. Thx.

Someone uploaded this fanshot footage of them doing Revolution Blues 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1