Wilco — 22 April 2023, Birmingham, AL (Avondale Brewing Company [Outdoors])

Once again, I must apologize to my by-now surely dwindling readership for not being able to immediately provide a report with the level of detail I would ordinarily like. But such is the curse of independent travel and the necessities of getting at least a few hours of shuteye and also making it to the next gig...

For now, I'll just report that it was beautiful night in ol' Alabam, and Jeff copped to feeling like doing a little pandering to the audience by the end of the evening. If Stars Fell Over Alabama at one time, then surely Woody Guthrie could also be imagined to have laid his head on a bed of Alabama Stars on his travels as well. And that's the pandering Jeff was referring to that almost immediately became evident when he changed the lyrics of that old Wilco/Billy Bragg chestnut in the encore.

More to come, hopefully, but for now, here was the complete setlist as played (it appeared there was at least one change at the end of the main set, with Dawned On Me possibly getting cut, but I didn't see a printed list to confirm):

I Am My Mother

Cruel Country

Handshake Drugs

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

Hints

One Wing

If I Ever Was A Child

War On War

Bird Without A Tail/Base Of My Skull

Tired Of Taking It Out On You

Impossible Germany

Whole Love

Shouldn't Be Ashamed

A Shot In The Arm>

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

Hummingbird

Jesus, etc.

Box Full Of Letters

I'm Always In Love

-------------------------------------------------------

Falling Apart (Right Now)

California Stars (sung as "Alabama Stars")

Monday>

Outtasite (Outta Mind)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1