Anybody out here play one of these? I inherited one from my Great-Grandfather who picked it up at the Hohner plant in Germany way back in 1900. So the story goes. The top comb is in C but, when I push the tab, it closes off the top and opens the bottom, which is in C#. I'm not really a student of theory, I just play it by ear but I'm having trouble getting this, is there a real advantage here?

Anybody out here play one of these? I inherited one from my Great-Grandfather who picked it up at the Hohner plant in Germany way back in 1900. So the story goes. The top comb is in C but, when I push the tab, it closes off the top and opens the bottom, which is in C#. I'm not really a student of theory, I just play it by ear but I'm having trouble getting this, is there a real advantage here?

I bought a Hohner Chrometta 8 years ago--I think it was after seeing Stevie Wonder play something similar--but I always end up playing a standard harmonica most times (probably 'cause I'm not that proficient on the instrument). I can see the advantages of this harmonica as far as getting the in-between notes that a standard diatonic type harmonica can't without bending notes.

I would suggest finding a book at least. I play by ear just because I find it easier but, in no way can I say I have a mastery of the harmonica. If you're just going to playing around on it while playing guitar, having a solid grasp isn't the most important thing but, if you're going to playing blues riffs, I would say get a book or a teacher.

With the harmonica, especially diatonic, it's not too important to know theory. The best thing would be to learn songs. A book with tab would be the best and then, as you get better, figuring out songs by ear would be the best place to go.

• 2 months later...