Nels Cline Singers @ the Cultch

I love this town. Where else can you dine alfresco on beautiful summer evening, then casually stroll into the venue barely 10 min before the show and still find great seat in the fourth row? It's times like this that Vancouver really lives up to it's "Lotusland" reputation and the gloomy months of rain that we endure every winter are temporarily forgotten.

The Vancouver East Cultural Centre was a Methodist church in a former life, and with its seating stretched to capacity to accomodate 300 devoted followers, this was the perfect setting to practice my own religion. I tend to be picky about venues, but the Cultch has a cozy atmosphere and surprisingly good acoustics for its size. The wall behind the balcony seats was even strung with pretty white lights for the occasion.

Although I've been listening to The Giant Pin a lot recently, I wasn't prepared for the intensity of a live performance by the Nels Cline Singers. Not only can Nels shred like a demon, but the array of expressive sounds that he coaxed from his Jazzmaster was truly stunning. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have a smokin' hot rhythm section (Devin Hoff and Scott Amendola) providing the backbone. One of the highlights was a beautiful "new song" played on a 12-string guitar borrowed from Alexander Varty, who interviewed Nels for the Georgia Straight.

The audience was an interesting mix of the people you would expect to see at the Jazz Festival (35+) and stoned guys in their late teens and early 20s. One of the youngest fans really seemed to be getting into the performance, kicking up its heels inside my womb. (With the "Nels Cline Effect" in utero, my kid is going to be a genius!)

Nels, awkwardly attempting to use a cordless mic for the first time, also entertained us with hilarious non sequiturs.

Audience member: "Play your hits!"

Nels: "I don't want any hits... Hits are for Trix!"

Unfortunately, their 60 min set was much too short. As the Nels Cline Singers left the stage, they were rewarded with a standing ovation and the MC remarked, "I usually don't like to editorialize, but that kicked serious ass!" The Thing had the unenviable task of following them, but the Scandinavian power trio was up for the challenge, playing a selection of free jazz "ballads" about "childhood in the fjords" (or at least, that's what sax player Mats Gustafsson would have us believe).

After the show, my husband and I visited another neighbourhood landmark, La Casa Gelato, which boasts 218 flavours "only limited by the imagination... and of course Mother Nature." (A lot like Nels Cline.) Sadly, there was no Dill Pickle, so I sampled the Green Apple and Cheddar before settling for Almonds and Figs with a scoop of Toblerone for good measure.

More Nels tonight! :dancing

After the show, my husband and I visited another neighbourhood landmark, La Casa Gelato, which boasts 218 flavours "only limited by the imagination... and of course Mother Nature."

any run ins with wild animals? :monkey

Sounds like a great time, Judy. We were thinking of you over in Chicago--it's always nice when you have 2/3 of the NAFTA countries covered.

Your little ookpik has obviously inherited the parents' impeccable tastes. Any reaction to the gelato?

Any reaction to the gelato?

More please! :eat

I was lucky enough to catch Nels perform "Electric Ascension" w/OrkestRova at the Cultch last night. (I'm going to have to dust off my Coltrane albums.)

Nels was the only performer who received spontanious applause after his solo. It was intense... at times, he looked like he was being electrocuted. :lol

I thought my head was going to explode. Awesome!