Death Cab For Cutie @ London Brixton Academy

The great ship "Death Cab" rolled back onto the gracious British shores on a barmy evening in London town and myself and the other Rich (Muller) embarked on a voyage south of the river to the wonderous venue that is Brixton Academy. A cheeky pint in some rather nice pub in Oxford Circus and we'd discussed the relative merrits of the new Golden Smog and Thom Yorke records, we set off on the Victoria line to our final destination.

The first thing that struck us was how young all the other gig-goers were - we felt very old and almost dirty old men... But don't tell anyone!

Viva Voce kicked things off with weird drone-like americana... the tunes on their myspace page made them sound a lot like Gorky's Zygotic Mynci to me, but live they were very basic and very loud. Plenty of rhythmic force and a cute guitar player who could ring feedback out of it with a twist of her hips. A pretty enjoyable set and certainly a band I'll look into checking out.

We were then treated to and hour and a half of Death Cab For Cutie's greatest hits so to speak. An impressive setlist that took only 3 songs that weren't on Transatlantism or Plans. As this was the first time either of us had seen them it was a perfect a setlist as you could hope for.

We had The New Year, Title And Registration, Transatlantism, Passenger Seat, Marching Bands of Manhatten, Brothers on a Hotel Bed, The Sound of Settling, I Will Follow You Into The Dark to name just a few... Great stuff. Ben Gibbard looked very odd without his specs and reminded me of the lead singer of Keane... sorry fella! All the critisism aimed at these guys for being wet and quiet is completely destroyed live as they put on a great show, Ben jumping around and at one time (I can't remember the song!) he had a mini drum kit to thrash about on.

Was really impressed and would definitely recommend catching them live and will endeavour to do so again!

Brothers on a Hotel Bed

They didnt play that dude - though, I wish they did as its one of my favourites...

Ben jumping around and at one time (I can't remember the song!) he had a mini drum kit to thrash about on.

We Looked Like Giants. - Def a highlight for me.

Also, can I add that Passenger Seat / Different Names For The Same Thing was one of the best set openers I have ever seen. Fantastic.

I should have stayed on the tube with you Rich until Kings Cross, as the Central line was suspended both ways as some muppet jumped in front of the track - meaning that I couldnt get to Liverpool Street.

Still, a top night though, and id certainly go and see them again.

I wonder which one it was instead of Brothers then... must dig out Plans again! Doh!

I just heard the announcement as the doors closed as you left about the circle line being shut - bugger.

Was a couple of minutes before my train which was good and managed to find a seat!

Thanks for the great reviews guys ... :cheers I still love Transatlanticism. :thumbup

I think when I saw DCFC in Ann Arbor, Michigan, Ben pounded a little drum kit during Title and Registration, but I could be wrong, I just remember it being a very rhythmic and simple beat since he was multitasking. I'll ask my nieces if they remember (and regarding the young age thing - I definitely felt surrounded by college kids, too. :blush )

Glad you both enjoyed it.

Great and very accurate review mate. Glad to see its at number 1 in the chart too!

Heres the setlist from the show...

P1010834.jpg

Though, im sure Transatlanticism was in the middle of the show...