Wilco- woohoo! Winnipeg show recorded!

Here it is finally the Canada Day show at the Burton Cummings Theatre in Winnipeg. Not sure if there were any other tapers (I've never met any) at the show, so I hope this satisfies all the hardcore Winnipeg Wilco fans. Let me know what you think. Enjoy! :P

Hey thanks ALOT Binky!! I was at this show and i must have been sitting right close to where you were (before and after "Shot in the Arm", the guy they were yelling at sit down was right behind me, I felt kinda bad for him, he honestly could not sit all the way down in the seat as he was a hefty fellow). I am abit of a greenhorn to the world of torrents and FLAC files, but i just finished burning it and it sounds great. Its so cool to have a bootleg of a show that you were at. I am a HUGE Wilco fan, have been for about 10 years, and the show just flys by when you are there. You barely have time to fathom the fact that you are in fact in watching one the greatest bands of our generation. I loved the setlist of this show too, a really good mix I thought (highlights for me were "Spiders"-worth the $50 on its own!! and "Shot In The Arm").

*Interesting side note-sitting RIGHT on front of me at the show was John K. Samson of the Weakerthans. After the show my brother-in-law was talking to this guy and as he walked away I just asked "Who was that?', assuming it was just a friend or something. He said "You know who that was right? That was John Samson.", to which i began to curse him out for not saying anything earlier.

Just curious, Binky, how much does a recording rig like yours cost, and have you ever had any issues with bringing it into shows?

Edited by shwiebe

I'm not a hard-core serious taper, mainly for personal use, but now i can't go to a show without recording. My gear is a Sharp Mini-disc ($200-ish) and I switched to the Sony t-style mic ($100 or $35-ish ebay)that can be clipped or taped to something. I also use Sound Professional omni-mics (2 tiny mics $100 that can clip on clothes etc.) with a (recently purchased) battery/bass off box ($85). These mics tend to be really boomed especially venues such as Theatres. I have a Weakerthans show from last year that was way too bassy. I've never had a problem getting the gear into concert halls or clubs, always kept it hidden under a shirt, in pockets, or in sock etc.

Speaking of John K Samson, met him once and he seeks like a genuinely nice guy and my wife knows him literally. (through the publishing business) I have my ticket for the Weakerthans show in September and plan on recording the show...would anyone be interested? I'm again in the balcony, so if anyone has any extra better seats they would trade, i would make sure you'd be the first to get a boot of the show.

Thanks!

I don't suppose you could post that as a Yousendit.com link, could you? I would die for that. I was at the Winnipeg show with a friend, and I know that both of us would down for getting our hands on that.