7/13/06 Largo, Los Angeles

Starting Jon Brion threads is usually a job I leave up to the much more Jon-capable pneyu, but I'll go ahead and stumble forth with this one.

Jon made his first Largo appearance in three months last night, and it confirmed for me my suspicion that I'll go to any trouble, any trouble at all, anytime, anywhere, just to see this guy play.

As anyone who was near me for weeks afterwards knows, I loved his Intonation festival performance in Chicago to pieces. But that was a planned 40 minute set, and was necessarily more structured because of it. To be doing a complete Largo set meant that anything could happen -- a sudden 60 second duet of Roundabout, a glorious-anyway rendition of Knock Yourself Out on a guitar that refused to stay in tune, an out-of-nowhere I Don't Know How to Love Him (with no vocals) while he tried to get that guitar tuned, and Benmont Tench's piano making the already achingly beautiful Why Do You Do This to Yourself even more heart-rending.

The highlights for me were anytime that Benmont touched the piano; a sing-along Time of the Season; and good lord, the Roxy Music medley that kept reaching peak after peak after peak. Yow. Oh, yeah, and he started with the Beatles' The End. How perfect is that?

Never mind, they were pretty much all highlights.

Happy Birthday

The End

Sweet Georgia Brown

Any Major Dude

How Much Is That Doggie in the Window/Take the A Train/another song

Here We Go

Girl I Knew

I Don't Know How to Love Him

Knock Yourself Out

Why Do You Do This to Yourself *

You Didn't Have to Be So Nice *

boogie-woogie vamping *

Time of the Season *

This Will Be Our Year *

Roundabout *

Waterloo Sunset *

Ruin My Day

Shine On You Crazy Diamond

encore

The Way It Went

Eternal Sunshine theme

Same Old Scene/White Lines/Through the Fire

* = with Benmont Tench

:blink

I know he's not interested in recording a 2nd solo cd, but he should definitely be recording and selling these Largo gigs. especially special shows like this one and his series with Nels Cline.

If I remember correctly, Jon's Largo shows are often (always?) recorded, certainly including his with Nels. And there is even some footage somewhere that was supposed to be used for a DVD. So posterity will likely get something. I'm afraid posterity may be luckier than we are.

I feel REALLY lucky that I get to experience these. Really lucky.

I don't think the Nels/Jon CD has been shelved, but I figure they can't pack those 45-minute/1-hour uninterrupted improv jams onto a CD, yet still include some of the more, ummm, traditional compositions, so they'll keep plugging away until the material makes itself known. Then again, it might join the massive volumes of unreleased Jon Brion material sitting in the vaults somewhere, such as the separate collaborations with Grant Lee Phillips, the Polyphonic Spree, David Byrne, and Elliott Smith. In the meantime, I look forward to the eventual resumption of the NC/JB Duo shows. In fact, I look forward to the resumption of any regularly scheduled Jon Brion shows.

Heidi has thoroughly covered many of the highlights, and I can't say enough about the mastery that is Benmont Tench. You think you know these old songs, then Benmont comes in and wrenches some revelatory, heretofore unknown melody out of the chestnut, and you're left gasping and gaping in your seat. Sure, we would've loved a repeat of the Chicago Power Trio from a few weeks ago, but I hear Glenn Kotche was busy elsewhere.

As a bonus, we got a half-hour opening set by Greg Proops. It would be a grave disservice to try to repeat what he said, but rest assured that he covered the topics of the World Cup, people who move to Los Angeles from other states, and Syd Barrett in his monologue. Whew.

How was it getting in? Did you wait in line? Did you make reservations? We tried to make reservations last year, and it was all booked up for like three months in advance. I have been dying to see this thing for like three years.

Gregg was totally amazingly hilarious, especially his World Cup stuff. And his mocking of Connecticut.

About getting into Largo -- I've been lucky that each time I've called for a reservation, I got a call back, and the other times I've piggybacked on pneyu's reservation. But if I hadn't gotten the call back this time, I would've gone and lined up early enough to ensure I got one of the bar seats or standing spots. The place is really REALLY small, so being in the back doesn't mean anything bad.

Gregg was totally amazingly hilarious, especially his World Cup stuff. And his mocking of Connecticut.

About getting into Largo -- I've been lucky that each time I've called for a reservation, I got a call back, and the other times I've piggybacked on pneyu's reservation. But if I hadn't gotten the call back this time, I would've gone and lined up early enough to ensure I got one of the bar seats or standing spots. The place is really REALLY small, so being in the back doesn't mean anything bad.

when you get a bar seat or SRO, do they still force you to buy their crappy meals?

ugh, Proops has always come off as a smarmy douchebag, IMO. but i'm glad you you had a good time. :cheers

ugh, Proops has always come off as a smarmy douchebag, IMO. but i'm glad you you had a good time. :cheers

Huh. I like him. Seeing him always reminds me of my misspent youth (far too many high school school-nights spent at open-mic nights...).

when you get a bar seat or SRO, do they still force you to buy their crappy meals?

Nope! We were almost spared tonight, but they got us a table at the last minute, so we had to eat the "food". :D