Phil & Friends--7/15/06

Thoughts & observations from last night:

Christ,it was brain-searing hot! 94 as we entered.With a 6:30 showtime,75% of the show was in daylight...never have I drank so much water.So happy...like a family reunion (actually better than that :D ) my hometown of 9000 or so was represented by literally 20+ of my best friends & local Heads.

Very rowdy 1st set..probably a good thing..too many ballads in that heat may have been devastating.

Dire Wolf,Big River opened things up.Joan Osbourne did a great job with "Next Time You See Me" Then as we were thinking about trying to scope out some shade at break...BLAM!! Viola Lee :dancing My all-time favorite Dead song,the one I named my Hound dog after....SWEET! I jumped up high enuff to dunk a B-ball.

A gnarly version it was,too :music . Hell,I coulda left then & there but...no f'kin way.

2nd set opened up w/ Playin'>Scar>Fire. He's Gone slowed things waaaay down & I couldn't help thinkin' about Vinnie.A super-funky "Shake" followed & had the whole place doin' the Owsley Hop..then surprise #2:"Gimme Shelter"...Joan wailed again.I enjoyed her much more this year than in '03. Stella>Truckin'>Playin' reprise closed it out quite nicely."Attics" encored...why doesn't Rob sing this?? Phil,we love ya,but don't sing the Jerry ballads PLEEZE!!

All in all,a very good show...only complaint: having one of the best guitar slingers out there,Barry Sless,& confining him to pedal steel all night is tragic,imo.Oh well,hoping for some DNB shows this fall :thumbup

Lammy,catch 'em in Morrison if ya can!!

Scott

I caught this show in hartford and the best part was the duos set in the very beggining even though it was only half an hour, phil just kinda bored me and it was funny to hear trey sing jerry parts.

Im still not too sure about this trey, mike and the duo badn though

also funny cause of the closers, I saw bob weir and he closed withthe whole band sinign attics of my life.

best part was string cheese incident at te bob weir show, they took the cake.

Thanks for the review. Glad to hear Joan's fitting in better. I'm going tomorrow night to see them in the Louisville Palace, a beautiful venue, and also Joan's hometown.

I trust you've seen this: Viola Lee Blues 1967

Thanks for the review. Glad to hear Joan's fitting in better. I'm going tomorrow night to see them in the Louisville Palace, a beautiful venue, and also Joan's hometown.

I trust you've seen this: Viola Lee Blues 1967

The Palace is my very favorite indoor venue :cheers .I caught numerous shows there (including Phil the night Kesey died).A good friend has grrreat seats for that one..wish I could be there but I gotta save some vaca daze for fall Wilco shows! :thumbup

Enjoy the 'Ville!

All in all,a very good show...only complaint: having one of the best guitar slingers out there,Barry Sless,& confining him to pedal steel all night is tragic,imo.Oh well,hoping for some DNB shows this fall :thumbup

Lammy,catch 'em in Morrison if ya can!!

Scott

MB: sounds like a great time.

Sless really got his foot in the door/"name" with his pedal steel skills. He's quite the master of the instrument and I personally really dig the input from him on the pedal steel. I'm into Buddy Cage's work, too. Do you think he's getting buried in the mix or do you wish he was strummin' a 6-string? I'm not sure if I've ever seen/heard Sless playing guitar (though I know he does).

Unfortunately, as the tour looks to wrap up in a few days, there's been no addition to it (re: Red Rocks) as of yet.

Last year around this time P&F played one night at the Fillmore downtown Denver and the next night at red Rocks. We ( a few buddys and myself) snuck into the Fillmore for the the first night of them practicing (two nights prior to the gig...with Ryan Adams) and Phil, Sless, and Ryan hit my pal's Dead bar directly across the street the second night of practice for some beers/pool when the power in the Fillmore went out around 11 at night. This bar, and the adjoining bar he also owns, have all walls plastered with really nicely framed Dead photos and posters. Ryan and Phil asked if they could play a few tunes. They were set up and Ryan played Garcia's Wolf and phil did his thing for about and hour (5-6 tunes) to the bewilderment of about 80 of us who happened to be hanging out.

Good times.

MB: sounds like a great time.

Sless really got his foot in the door/"name" with his pedal steel skills. He's quite the master of the instrument and I personally really dig the input from him on the pedal steel. I'm into Buddy Cage's work, too. Do you think he's getting buried in the mix or do you wish he was strummin' a 6-string? I'm not sure if I've ever seen/heard Sless playing guitar (though I know he does).

Unfortunately, as the tour looks to wrap up in a few days, there's been no addition to it (re: Red Rocks) as of yet.

Last year around this time P&F played one night at the Fillmore downtown Denver and the next night at red Rocks. We ( a few buddys and myself) snuck into the Fillmore for the the first night of them practicing (two nights prior to the gig...with Ryan Adams) and Phil, Sless, and Ryan hit my pal's Dead bar directly across the street the second night of practice for some beers/pool when the power in the Fillmore went out around 11 at night. This bar, and the adjoining bar he also owns, have all walls plastered with really nicely framed Dead photos and posters. Ryan and Phil asked if they could play a few tunes. They were set up and Ryan played Garcia's Wolf and phil did his thing for about and hour (5-6 tunes) to the bewilderment of about 80 of us who happened to be hanging out.

Good times.

I remember reading about the gig & seeing some pics from same.You were a lucky guy there! In regards to Barry,yes he was not mixed loud enuff most of the time.As to his 6-string prowess,PM in yer box!

Scott