Hello. My friend and I are in a band and instead of the normal recording through a built-in microphone in his laptop :blink , we want to buy some better recording equipment. I'm looking for a microphone, probably a condenser under $150, that can record drums AND guitar. I don't really mind if the instruments don't sound superb through the mic, just something that will record better than a laptop mic.

i would suggest getting a sound card too.

a mic plugged into the mic input will sound a bit better, but not really. also you wont be able to run a condensor off your computer due to in needing phantom power, unless you buy one that has a battery or a power outlet. the latter usually cost a great deal. but there is one condensor made by akg that is quite good and in your price range. its called the c 1000. about 120 bucks. we have a few and use it for drum overheads, and i use it live for vocals. for a dynamic too, you cant go wrong with a shure sm57. about 90 dollars. but honestly, save up a little money, and get a good sound card too. you will not be dissapointed.

see you.

sean

This is the best condenser for the money that I've ever heard. Guitar Center is running a deal for $99.00 where you get the 990, a 991 pencil condenser, and an M-Audio Preamp that serves as phantom power (which you'll need for both mics). It's a great deal, and they're great mics. Edited by groselicain
  • 2 months later...

I've been researching mics/preamps for a while, and haven't bought quite yet. This looks like a great deal. Though, word of caution: if you buy this you will not be able to expand your mics with this preamp unless every mic you buy runs on 41v phantom power.

Typical phantom powered mics run off of 48v and can be mixed and matched. This just means you will have to get a separate preamp for your other mics, as you expand your collection (which you might be doing anyway since you'll need them for each channel).

Did that make sense?