I'm From Barcelona

So what do you guys think about 'em? I think they're fucking great! I checked them out after p-fork reviewed their album. Anyone got the album or know of a place a lonely soul like myself may be able to find it? (wink-wink, nod-nod, say no more, right?)

Check 'em out on myspace.

Here's the video for We're from Barcelona

they look like Up With People in that video

the record isn't all that great imo...

even the Polyphonic Spree, whom i like some, get a bit tiring after a short while, this did even quicker for me.

musically tho, hey remind me of The Boy Least Likely To some, who rule.

even the Polyphonic Spree, whom i like some, get a bit tiring after a short while, this did even quicker for me.

musically tho, hey remind me of The Boy Least Likely To some, who rule.

that's who they reminded me of too (TBLLT). You've made me sad to learn that the album isn't just as solid. The two singles are stucki n my head all day....

it's not bad, it's just that it doesn't offer a ton of variation IMO, which with stuff that kitschy/sunny, is usually a necessity with me.

i'm sure they'd be a blast live, much like Polyphonic Spree, but they for some reason seem a bit more pretentious/gimicky than TPS for me, dunno why.

I always liked the Polyphonic Spree's size and sound, but I got SO sick of that guy's lyrics. I'm From Barcelona's lyrics aren't much better, but for some reason they do the trick for me. I like them a lot. I plan on purchasing the record, just for the fact that the music is so catchy and good for singing along with (which is a huge plus).

C'mon now, p-fork isn't the devil. It's actually been pretty freaking good over the past two years. All of the media attention and some polish has really helped the p-fork become what it is today: a major source of influence in music. Who cares about if there are other blogs out there, blah, blah, blah. It's nice to hear about shit you wouldn't have otherwise.

hey, i'm not going to get into this same old argument again. as i've stated before, if you find Pfork to be a valuable resource for you, more power to you.

i just personally don't get much out of reading their site other than week old news and snarky/snide reviews. i can count on my hands the number of times my thoughts on a record actually agreed with theirs much (my year end list usually has MAYBE 2-3 records in common out of 10-15). the same Marc Hogan who gave IFB an 8.4, gave Sound Team a retardedly undeserving 3.7 or whatever and Midlake's new one an underrated 6.8.

sometimes they use their power/influence for good things (like giving Tapes that good review, even though they were blogger darlings months before) and sometimes (more often than not), they use it in a bad way. they definitely have more influence than any one resource should imo, for better or worse. it's an important site, i wouldn't deny that, but doesn't mean everyone has to like everything about the site either. i'd agree it's better now than it was a few years ago, but i still would like to see a bit more professionalism at time, if they're going to be given that much clout.

fwiw:

http://videos.antville.org/stories/1388509/

Actually, I love pitchfork for the news (though the articles are usually annoying, just get to the fucking point!) and I do read the reviews. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I disagree and it makes me madder than hell, but I'm definitely glad the site exists.

But I understand why people hate it. Sure the new I'm From Barcelona song is a catchy little pop tune, but when they give that single a 5 star review (which they rarely give), I can TOTALLY see why people think the pitchfork folks are pretentious little indie snobs.

Edited by Eli Cash

re: pfork news style, i agree, most of the time i'm thinking the same thing as you "just out with the fucking news, i don't care about your stupid personal anticdotes"

i can't wait to see them give the new Arcade Fire a bad review just because the band refused to play their festival last year. :rolleyes

re: pfork news style, i agree, most of the time i'm thinking the same thing as you "just out with the fucking news, i don't care about your stupid personal anticdotes"

i can't wait to see them give the new Arcade Fire a bad review just because the band refused to play their festival last year. :rolleyes

I was really [sarcasm]shocked[/sarcasm] when very critical of Lollapalooza, just a week after their music festival.