I AM GOING TO DUBLIN AND EDINBURGH!

I am thrilled to make it back to Europe soo soon! I was just in Finland, Latvia, Lithiuania and Estonia in March (All 4 were awesome!) Now over thanksgiving I will be trekking to Dublin and Edinburgh. Who has been to these cities before? What where the highlights? Any side trips recommended for the Scottish or Irish countryside? Will I see the Loch Ness Monster :D ??? Where can I get a good Whiskey or Scotch? Any stories will be appreciated!

BTW Ryan Air rules! I am flying from Dublin to Edinburgh for $30 one way after fees!

:cheers

Edited by remphish1

I've not been to Edinburgh myself, but Dublin I have and, in fact, I'm off there for a wedding next week.

Got to go to the Guiness factory and Jamesons brewery in Dublin and experience the Temple Bar area after dark - pubs aplenty with an amazing atmosphere and impromptu music performances... Just remember that Dublin is quite an expensive city, so save your Euros!

I thought that Edinburgh was one of the most beautiful cities I saw in Europe. I had a great time drinking and carousing there, too.

It's been too long to have any specific suggestions, though.

As for out in the countryside ... I had a Scottish Rover railpass, so my options were a bit limited. I liked Pitlochry, though -- there's an ancient distillery there, as I recall.

In Dublin, spend a Sunday afternoon at the Brazen Head;

if you're at all interested in Irish history, take the tour of Kilmainham Gaol;

take the DART to Dun Laoighaire, to see Joyce's tower;

see a GAA game (football [Gaelic, not soccer], hurling, or camogie);

And check out the outdoor markets (Moore Street!).

For day trips out of Dublin, Glendalough and Newgrange would be top of my list (I have no idea if that's the best tour company to use, that's just an example of the kind of trip that's offered; you could also just get town-to-town buses to Glendalough or Newgrange, but I think a tour might be worth it, if you're not driving yourself). Stop into a Bord Failte office, they'll be able to give you good info there.

How long are you going to be in Dublin? There are longer trips outside of Dublin that would be worth doing, but if you're only there for a few days, you might not want to be spending 4 hours on a train or bus to get further out. But Galway, Clare, the North (yes, even Belfast)... all worth seeing.

Lucky you!

I was in Dublin last summer and I'd recommend the Guinness Storehouse and the Gaol. And Temple Bar for sure. If you are into Irish and Celtic history at all - the National Museum is a gotta do. Its also fun just checking out all the street entertainment on Grafton Street. And if you like books and bookstores - look out!

I just came back from Edinburgh and easily I would suggest checking out the Castle. Its in an amazing location high above the city. And wander up and down the Royal Mile, check out the wynds and alleys, have a wander up and down Princes Street. If you're somewhat fit and like doing stuff outdoors - take the hike up Arthurs Seat for a great view of what I think is one of the prettiest cities I've seen.

Both cities though are tres $$$!

If you get a chance, get into the Highlands though - there you will find paradise (midges excepted...!)

Slanchava!

>>take the hike up Arthurs Seat for a great view of what I think is one of the prettiest cities I've seen.

I second this (and most everything else mentioned about edinburgh in this thread). Definitely this, though. It's steep, but very worth it.