Save the London Astoria

www.savetheastoria.org

http://www.myspace.com/savingtheastoria

In late June 2006, development company Derwent Valley Central struck a deal with Mean Fiddler to buy the London Astoria, and they intend to demolish it in order to build a new development of shops, office space and flats. They're destroying an arts venue to make way for more shops, and all to profit from the Olympics.

We think that this is just rude; when it's gone and the Olym

Edited by rsjbraz
www.savetheastoria.org

In late June 2006, development company Derwent Valley Central struck a deal with Mean Fiddler to buy the London Astoria, and they intend to demolish it in order to build a new development of shops, office space and flats. They're destroying an arts venue to make way for more shops, and all to profit from the Olympics.

We think that this is just rude; when it's gone and the Olym

Well there goes one of the best theatre sized venues in W1. Brilliant, idea. I really liked the fact that you could sit upstairs on a table with a few people and watch the band rather than having rows and rows of seats, and the sound was pretty good too, both downstairs and upstairs. The fact that they are making it into shops is pretty funny concidering it is about 50 yards around the corner from Oxford Street and there is nothing else down the Charing Cross Road to attract people to go shopping down there specifically. Plus where are they going to hold G.A.Y now?!

hmm,my initial post seems to have been edited,full article below including petion you can sign!

www.savetheastoria.org

We think that this is just rude; when it's gone and the Olympics are over, we, the people who actually live here will have made a huge loss. After all, London's our city, we want to keep the things that make it special. We're all for making loads of money but not by getting rid of such a legendary, fantastic venue.

It'd be terrible to lose the only venue of its size in its area of London. Other similar ones like the Electric Ballroom and Koko are way north. For most people, that's pretty inaccessible, and let's face it, Camden isn't the nicest place to be caught late at night. Having a venue just off Oxford Street is easier to get to and much safer.

With the music scene expanding the way it is at the moment, places like this are more important than ever. If you cut out the middle sized venues, how will a band progress properly from small to huge? And it seems to us that most young bands dream of playing the Astoria; having just lost Top of the Pops wouldn't it be harsh to lose this as well?

And remember that in May 2000, after acquiring the Astoria, Mean Fiddler told us they were 'securing the future of live music at one of London

Signed!

One of the few venues left in London that has some character. Been to some excellent concerts there including my very first Wilco experience...

Would be a great shame to lose it... where would be meet for out annual UK VCers gig???

Not to mention it's the place where I first met andrewdowdall, and where I threatened to meet welsh rich!

Ahh yes... well, I spoke to you on the phone :D

Just couldn't spot you guys at all - could have met Mr. Dowdall 12 months earlier then!