Victoooooooria, Victoooooria

So we're driving up the coast from northern California to reach our destination--Victoria, where we'll live for the next four months or so...

Any suggestions of what to see and do, besides watch the sun set??? :blink

Always interested in advice from VCers.

:cheers

If you don't mind me asking,why B.C. for 4 months...isn't school starting up soon?

Scott

You're in for a treat! Patrick's Point State Park (north of Eureka, CA) is definitely worth a visit, and the beaches along the OR coast are spectacular. The Oregon Dunes are pretty cool too.

If you're passing through Portland, be sure to visit Powell's Books. In Seattle, the area in and around the Pike Place Market is always fun to explore. There's also a nice guitar shop not far away (near Pioneer Square?). I had fun at the EMP as well (mostly because of the Dylan exhibit, which I think may now be over :().

Victoria is beautiful! I live in Vancouver, but usually try to make a couple of trips over to the Island every year. If you're lucky, you might see a few dolphins (or orcas, if you're really lucky) from the ferry so keep your eyes peeled. Of course, be sure to spend at least a day or two in Vancouver if you have time, or plan a weekend trip over from the Island during your stay. ... Who knows, maybe Wilco will grace us with their presence again while you're up here.

Tourism BC has a good website that covers some of the highlights on Vancouver Island quite well. Some of my favourite places are The Sooke Harbour House (one of the best restaurants in Western Canada, but $$$$!) and Pacific Rim National Park. If you like fresh seafood and the outdoors, you'll love every minute (despite the rainy months in Nov & Dec).

Welcome! :canada

So we're driving up the coast from northern California to reach our destination--Victoria, where we'll live for the next four months or so...

Any suggestions of what to see and do, besides watch the sun set??? :blink

Always interested in advice from VCers.

:cheers

My hometown. Word! :) Enjoy your stay..great town. Of course i'm biased. Hit me up in email or PM or something and let me know what you want to know and I'll help as best I can!.

Edited by memphisto

Just landed in Eureka, on our way to Victoria BC. My wife refused AWATT in the car, :angry so we got a nice variety of good music I've forgotten all about--Steely Dan, Boss, Petty, Chilli Peppers, Joni Mitchell, Elvis Costello... You know, there's a lot of great music out there, but if I'm playing the music it's still all Wilco. Tomorrow I will be more assertive about the music--Jayhawks, UT, NY, Wilco, etc. :pirate

I've been to Vacouver once for a weekend, but never the island, so I'll be sure to explore northern part, Robert. Thanks. :D School does start soon, but not for me thank God!! :dance I do have the year off and will be finishing the book while in Victoria for the fall. Then back to Atlanta in late December. Thanks for all the wonderful leads, Dreamin. :canada I sure the hell hope Wilco plays somewhere in the region while we're there, but the way the tour dates are unfolding, I doubt it. I have to make a few trips back east so I may try and coordinate with a show or two. :pray

Memphisto, I will write!

:thumbup

Only one of those is Wilco. ;)

Right you are!! I'm a bit illogical when it comes to AWATT, which I consider an expanding musical universe with Tweedy at the center (as I've said, AJATT just doesn't have the right ring to it :hmm :hmm ).

I should have included Golden Smog too.... :D

Back on the road.

A YEAR off? That is too cool! :thumbup I've probably missed discussion on this,but I'd be real interested in knowing about your book...you must let us know when this comes out.Congrats :cheers & I hope it works out for ya.

Scott