Concession Item Prices

I have been to a few Astros games of late, and continue to be amazed at the prices of the concessions. I may be off on a couple of figures, but here's what I remembered from the last trip:

Soft Drink: $5 (small)/$5.75 for cup with astros' stuff on it

Hot Dog: $4 (smallest)/ $6 regular (chili and cheese will run you an extra grand)

Cup of Fries: $4.50

Beer: $7

"Nachos" (stale chips and some velveeta): $7

Now, I realize that this is a sporting event, etc., and God knows the prices at movie theatres are outrageous, but it just kind of struck me, as I was watching joe schmoe families with their kids at the game, what an outing at the baseball park must cost the average family. The ticket prices are bad enough--but at least at times they run family promotions. But if mom and dad want to take the 2 kids to a game, and enjoy a little refreshment while they're at it, they may need credit counseling.

Any thoughts or comparisons to your neck of the woods?

it's a gouge. movie theaters are understandable - they make almost no money from the tickets at the theater (it almost all goes to the studio). baseball stadiums is another story.

many of the people working at the concessions are doing fundraisers where they get a small percent of the booth's take (i don't think it's more than 10%). the rest of the money is all a mystery as to where it goes. i'm guessing salary is a big portion. eat more nachos because the big star's contract will expire next season and we need to up his compensation package.

How much for the angioplasty you will need after eating that crap?

I can comment on beer prices, as I try to eat before/after the games. In Chicago, a beer will run you $6.25-$6.75, depending on the venue, which I believe is on the lower end of the larger markets. It seems like it has risen very quickly from just a few years ago. Same goes for hot dogs, etc. Anyway, your pricing seems consistent with what I have seen here.

Pricing can also depend on who owns the team, the deal with the city, etc. Yes, salaries, both players and administration, are the biggest expenses, along with travel expenses, stadium rental agreements, etc.

Go to Kansas City...last article I read said they have the cheapest concessions.

How much for the angioplasty you will need after eating that crap?

:w00t

no kidding...

I guess the fact that all that stuff is crap--and poorly made crap at that--is what makes the $$ sting even more. Last time we went we were guests (free tix), but I bought the whole group (4) two rounds of beers--that was a quick $60...

That's why I love minor-league ball... $1 Thirsty Thursdays (Shiner and Boulevard Wheat in addition to the other crap) and Two-fer Tuesdays ($4.50 gets you 2 big beers!). I've got a $49 berm-seating season pass that gets me into all the games. Of course, I always head down to the best seats.... and this is AAA ball, not some single-A club....

That's why I love minor-league ball... $1 Thirsty Thursdays (Shiner and Boulevard Wheat in addition to the other crap) and Two-fer Tuesdays ($4.50 gets you 2 big beers!). I've got a $49 berm-seating season pass that gets me into all the games. Of course, I always head down to the best seats.... and this is AAA ball, not some single-A club....

love the avatar....

When I used to live in Dallas, :no I caught several Frisco Roughriders games (minor league) and really enjoyed it. Feels like old-fashioned baseball...

It's a horrible vicious circle. Ballplayers see owners raking in dough, so they demand and get exorbitant salaries. Owners need to entice high-priced free agents, so they raise concession and ticket prices. Players see owners making still more money, and so on.

Unfortunately we've come way too far down this path to turn back. At best we might get a salary cap eventually that causes prices to plateau, but the days of $2 beer at the stadium are probably long gone. I don't know who to blame -- Don Fehr, Curt Flood, George Steinbrenner, Bowie Kuhn, who knows.

Yesterday while listening to the Nats game on the radio, they ran a spot for one of their frequent family deal promotions. Four tickets (cheap seats), four hot dogs, four pepsis, forty-nine dollars. A decent deal if you add up all those items at regular prices, but $49 is a chunk of change to a working-class family.

love the avatar....

When I used to live in Dallas, :no I caught several Frisco Roughriders games (minor league) and really enjoyed it. Feels like old-fashioned baseball...

I love the Frisco ballpark! Probably my favorite of all the minor-league ballparks I've been to (Buffalo, Tacoma, Colorado Springs, Memphis, OKC - where I live). Used to be in the middle of nowhere, but Frisco's really grown up now!