Paul Burch, Jon langford

ive seen paul burch a few times before when he opened for Ryan Adams during the Gold tour. I even saw him perform wih Adams on the Late Night show playing New York New York but i have not been able to see him with the WPA Ballclub.

I am Happy now.

paul Burch and the WPA Ballclub is all about the music, the music is simple and the audio is calm and quiet, Paul's voice is pristine and soulful. They are a great listen. I would have liked to see a fuller band with banjo and violin and doghouse bass but the trio of bass guitar drums was working perfect.

Burch played most the songs from his new record East to West highlighting songs such as the eerie blues of John Peel and Before the Bells, the raucous rock of Im Taking It Home, and soulful country in Wander.

I was really glad to hear Isolda from Blue Notes, one of my favorites. Jon Langford sang on Monterrey with Paul bringing some brute energy to the song.

Im happy to hear that Paul is reissuing a lot of his old records on vinyl as i do believe they would sound perfect on the needle. I dont know how long i can wait.

go see paul burch sometime.

go see paul burch sometime.
I did...

I was at the same show you were at. I got there a bit late, since I was coming from a day at Jazz Fest (I figure I saw 11 different musical acts yesterday including Jon and Paul.) Jon was in good form with Burch and WPA and some of his regulars in tow. The crowd was small and it was like a big party. Unfortunatlely I thought the energy was kind of low in general and while Paul was good, the atmosphere was pretty laid back and the set didn't crackle nearly like it should have. Not to say they weren't good, because they were (I have seen Paul several times in various configurations including playing with the Waco Brothers, they have an album out this spring I believe.), but with a bigger more enthusiastic crowd it would have been a wild show.

Anyway it was nice to chat with the Bloodshot people and Paul and Jon afterwards as well as some other folks I know. I hope he comes back soon however.

LouieB

I fell in love with paul burch after hearing "Isolda" which album should I get to start myself off?
I just listened to the new one last night and it is quite good. In fact I think both the Bloodshot albums are a good place to start.

LouieB