DBT wins group of the year

Americana Awards Honor Young, McMurtry

Veteran rocker Neil Young, singer/songwriter James McMurtry win Americana Music Awards

NASHVILLE, Tenn., Sep. 23, 2006

(AP) Singer and songwriter James McMurtry took home album of the year and song of the year honors, and veteran rocker Neil Young was named artist of the year Friday at the fifth annual Americana Honors and Awards.

The awards, which honor American music based on the country, folk and bluegrass tradition, also recognized the Drive-By Truckers as duo/group of the year and guitarist Kenny Vaughan as instrumentalist of the year.

McMurtry, 44, won album of the year for "Childish Things" and song of the year for "We Can't Make It Here Anymore," a pointed commentary on the economy, war and other issues.

The Austin, Texas-based singer is the son of "Lonesome Dove" author Larry McMurtry and credits his father with exposing him to country music as a boy.

Young, 60, is one of rock's most influential figures _ and one of its most erratic, shifting from tender folk ballads to feedback-drenched grunge, electronica, rockabilly, blues and full-blown country.

Last year, he released "Prairie Wind," a country-flavored album recorded in Nashville, and this year put out "Living with War," a collection of protest songs that included the blunt "Let's Impeach the President."

Held at the historic Ryman Auditorium, the awards show was hosted by Jim Lauderdale and featured appearances by Elvis Costello, Rosanne Cash, Rodney Crowell, Charlie Daniels, Vince Gill and many others.

Crowell received a lifetime achievement award for song writing and Alejandro Escovedo received one for performing.

Besides instrumentalist of the year, Vaughan also was honored with the new lifetime achievement award for instrumentalist.

Daniels became the fifth recipient of the Spirit of Americana Free Speech Award, while the family of songwriter Mickey Newbury accepted the President's Award, traditionally given in posthumous recognition to an artist for outstanding career achievement.

The awards were presented by the Americana Music Association. It is in part a reaction to slicker mainstream country music that grew in popularity in the 1990s, the organization said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/09/23/...D8KAAJT80.shtml

Interesting group of award recipients there. I see Neil is still getting some big props.

I've read a lot of hyperbole here on VC about DBT, and picked up a copy of Decoration Day recently to check them out. I found much of the music to be pretty decent - sort of a cross between Skynyrd and Blue Mountain, which isn't a bad thing - but I thought some of the lyrics were among the worst ever written. (I actually cringed when I heard the "banker man let into me, let into me, let into me" part on "Sink Hole" ... just awful. And the "Well, my daddy didn't pull out, but he never apologized" intro to "Marry Me" was a little too redneck for my taste, too, but I am from the Northeast after all...) :lol

What do you guys think of them? Best band in the world? Overrated country rock? I understand they really rock in concert, but after hearing this CD a few times, I'm not sure I'd invest actual $ in seeing them.

(No offense meant to you, jonbama, or to any other fans ... I'm just wondering what others think and/or whether they'd recommend other discs over Decoration Day.)

no offense taken here. they certainly do bring the METAL live but i think that their discs are great as well. As far as Decoration Day goes, i think it's a great record. Check out Southern Rock Opera and The Dirty South, although it sounds like they just might not suit your ear.

I wasn't really won over until seeing them a second time, ripping the roof off the Parish in Austin in 03. They really put everything into their live show, and you feel it. And, let's face it, "I've been working like a dog, I should be sleeping like a log" ain't exactly Shakespeare.

The only DBT album I've been able to force myself into buying based on people's praises here on VC is "The Dirty South." I like roughly half the album, but find the songs I do like to be forgettable. All of Patterson Hood's songs make me cringe and nearly all of Mike Cooley's are good. It's an album that I don't think was worth the 13 bucks I paid, but it doesn't make me feel like I wasted the money either.

As a disclaimer to all of this, I must admit I'm not a big southern rock fan but I do dig it at times. And, even though I don't particularly like Neil Young all that much, his music has been so influential and the dude is still cool and speaks his mind when and where he wants to even at the age of 60 when most musicians have either 1) hung it up or 2) turned to crappy love songs and various other mind-numbing lyrics.

I find them to be a pretty outstanding act both live and on their albums. Understand that they are singing songs from a characters perspective. I can understand the Lynryd Skynrd comparisons from a guitar/musical perspective. You hear the triple guitar onslaught. However, lyrically, they are much more talented than you are giving them credit for. I'm a "northerner" and I can hardly identify with a guy losing his farm, a girl who falls in love with her brother, a meth-user, etc. but these guys make you feel it. You can identify with someone you may absolutely abhor otherwise, "Puttin' People on the Moon" could be a decent example of that.

Oh, and see 'em live. :dancing

I'm a "northerner" and I can hardly identify with a guy losing his farm, a girl who falls in love with her brother, a meth-user, etc. but these guys make you feel it.

Same here. My wife is always a little baffled when I fess up to really liking these guys.

Same here. My wife is always a little baffled when I fess up to really liking these guys.

:D ditto that... my wife generally likes my taste in music but this one alludes her a bit. She does like "February 14th" but that's where she draws the line. I can't get her to listen to the 'depths of their lyrical contributions'.

:D ditto that... my wife generally likes my taste in music but this one alludes her a bit. She does like "February 14th" but that's where she draws the line. I can't get her to listen to the 'depths of their lyrical contributions'.

Opening riff of 2-14 always bring to mind the "Back in the old neighborhood" line in "Misunderstood." And the Mats' "Valentine," for some reason.

As a disclaimer to all of this, I must admit I'm not a big southern rock fan but I do dig it at times.

I guess that's true for me, too. In fact, I really like the late, great Blue Mountain, which was one of the bands I compared them to in my post. However - big caveat here - when I read "greatest live band out there right now" (on this board, a while ago) and then hear a reference to 'nana puddin' on their record ... well, let's just say I'm probably not going to go totally nuts over them. In fact, when I heard that line, I think I threw up into my own mouth a little bit.

For what it's worth, I think Decoration Day has a few good songs on it. ;)

I think you have to like southern rock to get into DBT, otherwise they are going to leave you cold. Frankly there hasn't been an act quite like this in a decade or two, so trading on Skynard and other southern rock groups from the 70s and 80s does give these guys something to trade on. I like them and think they are a great live act (but really loud). However if you didn't like some of the southern rock groups first time around, these guys won't do it for you either.

Southern Rock opera is a great concept album if you go with the concept. Interesting take on southern identity. Decoration Day may be their best.

Last thought..... these guys had a great three album run so their steam may be running out a bit.

LouieB