There were a few funny bits in those extracts. I actually found him a bit annoying in the last Himalayas series - didn't interact with the locals very well. I think he's best on the travelogues when in adversity, and that trip was just too comfortable/organised.

Also, I can take orders on signed copies of the JPR book if you want Christmas present ideas. I think it's out about a week before the signing, so I'll have a chance to skim and check it out.

Ooooo... that's a nice idea Andrew... thank you... what's the book about? You definitely going down to the signing?

As for Palin, you're right... sometimes I think he's great othertimes he just pisses me off. I've book marked those extracts though, so hopefully I'll get a chance to have a read later over a cuppa.

Ooooo... that's a nice idea Andrew... thank you... what's the book about? You definitely going down to the signing?

(1) Autobiography. Don't believe he's done one before. Looking forward to the 99 tales:-

When the call came in the Boet Erasmus Stadium, JPR ran half the length of the pitch and launched himself at Johannes van Heerden, a lock several inches taller and four stone heavier than Williams. Van Heerden was knocked out and later told Williams that it was the finest punch he had ever received.

Also

Playing for Bridgend against the All Blacks in 1978, Williams was caught at the bottom of a ruck, where he was stamped on by the opposing prop John Ashworth and had a hole torn in his cheek. Unfazed, Williams, a trained surgeon, retired from the pitch, stitched up his own injuries, and returned to the field.

I can remember that being on the news.

(2) Yes - acts of God permitting. It's Friday 3rd Nov.

do you guys know if Pole to Pole is out on DVD? I loved that series.

Definitely

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/146113/-/Pr...;searchsource=0

Not sure about a US version (PAL/NTSC etc.).

I find it strange that your DVD players are still one region. Here they're just about all universal now, and in the past you could always slip the shop assistant a few extra quid and get a 'chipped' one. Must be the power of the Hollywood film companies.

When the call came in the Boet Erasmus Stadium, JPR ran half the length of the pitch and launched himself at Johannes van Heerden, a lock several inches taller and four stone heavier than Williams. Van Heerden was knocked out and later told Williams that it was the finest punch he had ever received.

:lol fantastic...

Playing for Bridgend against the All Blacks in 1978, Williams was caught at the bottom of a ruck, where he was stamped on by the opposing prop John Ashworth and had a hole torn in his cheek. Unfazed, Williams, a trained surgeon, retired from the pitch, stitched up his own injuries, and returned to the field.

:omg

He was always a tough man.

I think I'll take you up on an offer for that - have a flick through, if it's any cop a signed copy would go down very well with me Dad...