what is one supposed to do when there are litte kitten alley cats living under the stoop on the side of your apartment building? i fed them but cannot take them in (going on vacation and have another cat already). i dont want to bring them to a shelter. do any chicagoans here want some cute little hungry black kittens? i feel so sad for them and it will get cold soon!!

The life of a feral cat is a pretty miserable existence and although I thinks it's debatable whatever the outcome from capturing them and turning them over to a shelter it's inevitably better than the life they would lead roaming loose in an urban environment. I think it should also be noted that many areas, and mine is one of these, emergency veterinary clinics, veterinary hospitals and shelters will take animals in as good Samaritan cases, check them over and assure that they're treated and in good shape before getting them ready for adoption. In smaller urban districts it's not uncommon for shelters to ship an animal in good health to a more densely populated area where there's a greater demand for animals ready for adoption. So my recommendation is to talk to your local shelters to see if they can provide you a means with which to capture the kittens and transport them somewhere where they'll receive adequate treatment and possibly place them in a good home.

My oldest sister and I have worked in emergency vet. clinics for years now, we see this type of thing all the time and we have pretty good results in getting the cats healthy and in good homes. Seriously consider it, you'll be doing them a favor.

It's a million times easier to find homes for kittens than it is for older cats, so it'd be a kindness to round 'em right up and take them in. If you can't do it before you leave, maybe you can ask someone to put food out for them while you're gone?

It's a million times easier to find homes for kittens than it is for older cats, so it'd be a kindness to round 'em right up and take them in. If you can't do it before you leave, maybe you can ask someone to put food out for them while you're gone?

good idea, i will leave directions for miss laura :)