Neil Young - Tonight's The Night Acetates

I happened to see an mp3 request on oink for an mp3 version of the Tonight's The Night acetates. The request had a link on oink to a flac version of said acetates. Of course that torrent is dead.

Anyone know if these are circulating or not? I was trying to wait until the archives releases to listen to some of the unreleased studio stuff from this period, but I do not believe I am going to live to be 200 years of age :D

I was trying to wait until the archives releases to listen to some of the unreleased studio stuff from this period, but I do not believe I am going to live to be 200 years of age :D

:lol

I don't know if this is circulating, but I'd love to get my hands on it.

Bob, do you know anything about this? B)

I happened to see an mp3 request on oink for an mp3 version of the Tonight's The Night acetates. The request had a link on oink to a flac version of said acetates. Of course that torrent is dead.

Anyone know if these are circulating or not? I was trying to wait until the archives releases to listen to some of the unreleased studio stuff from this period, but I do not believe I am going to live to be 200 years of age :D

pm the person and ask them to seed

:lol

I don't know if this is circulating, but I'd love to get my hands on it.

Bob, do you know anything about this? B)

No I haven't heard anything. If that is the original version of TTN that David Briggs wanted to release it would be priceless.

PS ~ How did the DVDs work out? B)

I would think this may be found on dime a dozen.

maybe not - I just did a search.

I've heard the version that you're talking about. It is labeled TTN Acetates, taken from a Reprise test pressing found in a swap meet. The mix and song order is not the version Briggs wanted to release. Most of the acetate consists of the same cuts that appear on the album, but none of the fabled conversation is there (though there is a line or two audible before and after Roll Another Number). It also includes for the Turnstiles, Walk On, and maybe Bad Fog of Loneliness.

It's cool, but for me it was a bit of a let-down. I'm out of town right now, in SF for the Bridge shows, but if you give me a little time to find it once I get home, I'll be glad to get it to ya.

Come to think of it, wasn't the original (Briggs) mix of TTN destroyed? I think Neil mentions this in Shakey.

This must be the version keith22 is referring to.

http://www.sidestreetrecords.com/articles/...onightsThe.html

I remember reading somewhere (I believe it was a UK mag, maybe Mojo) Briggs saying his TTN was perfect, including "raps" between and during songs with Neil having more of an MC role. Then he said Neil kept f*****g around and f*****G around with it until it ended up being the TTN we all know today. Taking more and more of the spontaneity out of the Briggs version and ending up with a more watered down TTN.

I haven't read Shakey but I read an interview (again a UK mag) with Neil saying the last time he saw the acetates Zeke was playing with them on the kitchen(?) floor when he was a baby. (I have boxes and boxes of magazines w/Neil interviews I've collected over the last few decades so my info may be a bit dusty)

This acetate would have originated in or around 1973 the same year Time Fades Away(LP) was recorded. I'm hoping it isn't a coincidence that both TFA and the Briggs TTN are both missing in action. I think they might be together in a Cuervo Gold box in Neil's Archives. B)

I don't quite understand all the technical ramifications but from what I've read Time Fades Away was cut "direct from the tapes" via some prehistoric computer device, and there was also a short lived sound conversion device used. So the tapes can't be remastered. Someone would have to have all the reels from the entire tour and figure out each source and then create a new recording in order to "redo" Time Fades Away.

That said a very nice HDCD version was made in the mid 90s from the difficult original mix. This was pulled back just prior to release FLAC copies can be found. Look around. I think it sounds quite good. Apparently Neil doesn

The original TTN isn't circulating and has only been heard by those who made it and others in the Neil Young circle.

There could be a bootleg from the sessions, but it is definitely not the 'original' TTN. That could be being saved for the second volume of Archives, if and when they get released. In fact, since it was made in 1973, it should be the on the first or second disc of that set, since the first volume is said to finish with 'War Song', the single Neil and Graham Nash put out in 1972.

The original TTN isn't circulating and has only been heard by those who made it and others in the Neil Young circle.

There could be a bootleg from the sessions, but it is definitely not the 'original' TTN. That could be being saved for the second volume of Archives, if and when they get released. In fact, since it was made in 1973, it should be the on the first or second disc of that set, since the first volume is said to finish with 'War Song', the single Neil and Graham Nash put out in 1972.

Sorry for starting a fight :D

I just wanted to hear studio versions of Traces and Bad Fog Of Loneliness :P

PS ~ How did the DVDs work out? B)

My baby daughter (4 wks old today) finally let me get around to watching the first disc today. Great performance of "Only Love Can Break Your Heart." (My little girl is already showing signs of being a Neil Young fan because she stops crying when I sing his songs to her - her favourite lullaby is "Cinnamon Girl.")

I haven't read Shakey but I read an interview (again a UK mag) with Neil saying the last time he saw the acetates Zeke was playing with them on the kitchen(?) floor when he was a baby.

:lol I hope he's kidding.

Here's what Neil said about TTN in Shakey

We had a rough mix of the whole thing - it had the raps and everything. Then somehow the raps got cut out. I don't know how that happened. If Briggs said he finished the record and that was it' date=' that's not true. 'Cause if he thought it was done, we wouldn't have been fucking around with those masters.

We tried to put the raps back in. The emulsion, the magnetic shit, was scraped off of it - the sound on the tape had changed and we couldn't get it back. We couldn't make it work - we couldn't cut it, we couldn't crossfade it, because we had a different mix of the raps. If we had been able to match the raps to the original mixes, it all would've been in there.

We could re-create the original [i']Tonight's The Night [/i] with digital. We could go and put it back together again and get the whole fuckin' thing, 'cause we got the masters and we got the raps.

My baby daughter (4 wks old today) finally let me get around to watching the first disc today. Great performance of "Only Love Can Break Your Heart." (My little girl is already showing signs of being a Neil Young fan because she stops crying when I sing his songs to her - her favourite lullaby is "Cinnamon Girl.")

Congratulations on the new member of your family. Sounds like you have a new Neil fan to carry on the tradition. Very cool. B)