I heard some songs by them a year or so ago and didn't hear anything really special but recently they played a free show that was really interesting. They have a really cool sound thats almost like a MBV/bad Brains/Flaming Lips hybrid (from what I heard at the show). I'll definitely check this album out though...

• 4 months later...

Certainly the most intriguing band of the last few years, IMO.

Return to Cookie Mountain was my favorite disc of '06. I'll plagiarize myself from my "Best of 2006" blog:

Stunning. Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is probably the last album to truly merit such a description. TV On The Radio are a fine heir to that kind of praise though, after Return to Cookie Mountain offers us an overwhelming sonic vista to absorb. It achieves that elusive balance of forward-thinking, curiosity-piquing experimentalism and instantly likable and memorable song forms. It's rare to hear compositions that are so tough to categorize- Punk Gospel? Glamadelic Soul? The sound is much more dynamic than the droning, My Bloody Valentine guitar-wash dominated style of Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes, and the melodies get to bubble to the top this time around. Dave Sitek's production, and ear for craftsmanship are to be commended. There are hooks everywhere- the fractured horns, subterranean bass, and falsetto chant of the opener "I Was a Lover", the elegantly spacious piano riff that crowns the chorus of "Province", the ferocious momentum of the vocals in "Wolf Like Me". The textures are dazzling. The rhythms are just too damn good. The vocals make the erudite and menacingly obscure lyrics sound positively earnest. This is music that advances the possibilities of rock. You'll be richer for hearing it.