I picked it up largely due to the hype around it... has a few nice moments (Province is a pretty cool tune) but it hasn't clicked for me overall yet.

By the way, there's a realy long pause in the middle of the album (between Wash the Day and Randomness) that's about a dozen untitled tracks of 17 seconds each... what's up with that??

Best of the year talk, eh? Obviously I don't agree, but it makes me look back on what has been in '06. My faves thus far are:

The Strokes, The Flaming Lips (neither album was among the band's best, but i am a huge fan of both and love hearing something new), Destroyer, Dylan, Belle and Sebastian, Saves The Day, and Yo La Tengo

The new TVotR is simply amazing, definite album of the year contender for me. As for Strokes and B&S, I would consider myself a pretty big fan of both bands and while I enjoyed both of those albums, neither of them were spectacular and definetely not close to album of the year. TVotR, Destroyer, Ghostface Killah, M.Ward, Islands, and Sonic Youth..I must be missing some though.

I think it's one of the best albums I've heard this year... it's just got everything - rock, funk, mad experimentation, squeaky saxophones, bonkers lyrics... brilliant stuff... "Province", "Playhouses" and "Wolf Like Me" are, quite possibly, the best sequence of music I've listened to all year.

the EP's still my favourite... but add me to the chorus that says its one of the best of the year, for sure.

I dunno if I'd say light years ahead of the first full length. One song doesn't make an album, but "Ambulance" is right up there with "Staring at the Sun" and "Wolf Like Me" as one of the band's single finest moments.

i'm all about Wash the Day, A Method, Province, Playhouses, & I Was A Lover, but as far as rock tunes go, Wolf is certainly killer.

as for the first one, it had a few great songs/moments, but i kinda felt like the initial poster here, i didn't think it was worth all the buzz/hype really, this one however is.

The strongest song on Return To Cookie Mountain is A Method. There's a silent storm of percussion as if one stood in the eye of a hurricane of sounds. I Was A Lover has an excellent loop in the background. Province sounds excellent will most likely be remembered as that song that Grey's Anatomy fans heard. This will most likely end up as number one for 2006 in my catalogue.

what's a "saves the day?"

sounds like a bible thumpin' band with that name. kids these days...

You're questioning the band band name Saves The Day on a thread about a band called TV on the Radio? Yikes.

province was on greys anatomy? jesus.

treeeeeendy