Attn: Vinyl Enthusiasts - Please Help a Vinyl Newb

The Bunk....welcome to the club. Everyone's opinions are just those...opinions. You can grab a decent used turntable at any good local Stereo store. I've even seen some nice old rigs at Local shops that fix lawn equiptment...not sure why, probably the simple motors and belts. Anyway, finding old records at used record shops is a blast and part of the hobby. Garage sales are great for both old turntables and records.

I've been a pretty avid collector for the past 10 years, and with the popularity of Dj's etc...more and more records are being pressed on quality vinyl. Almost every new record that comes out I can get at my local store. I'm expecting Okonokos and the Willie Nelson RA collaboration to be there this afternoon. I've been using hand me down equiptment, while rather good hand me down equiptment, for quite some time. I was just at a store in New Orleans this past Saturday listening to this amazing Clear Audio table with an awesome project phonostage into two manley labs 100W mono amps. The Cartridge it was using was a Moving Coil benz that cost $500. I can't tell you how amazing it was to listen to some of my favorite records on this rig...completely different experience.

I am looking to upgrade, nothing anywhere near the above ballpark, but for better sound and to get even more out of something I love to do. Find something in your budget and go record hunting. You may not like flipping the record or you may love it. Everyone's opinion on here is valid and just, but its just their opinion. Best of luck....

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I think I will try to find me a album player locally though I am still unsure what I need (i.e. inputs to look for, direct drive vs. belt driven, good brands, etc.). I REALLY want to start buying vinyl real soon for some reason but I want to make sure that I can tell the differnece in the sound and make sure it is worth it before doing so.

Thanks again for the posts and keep them coming. It is good to see as many opinions as possible (though I am leaning more towards Louie's opinion, more for the sake of that is all I can afford at the moment.)

Ok one last question guys.

What sort of cables will I need to acquire to hook a turntable up to my receiver? I am not sure the exact input on the back of my receiver but it does a PHONO setting (it is a Kenwood from the late 90's).

What should I look for both on my receiver and on the turntable for inputs? Does it take regular RCA, or some special type of gable?

Thanks again.

As long as you've got a phono setting then you'll be fine, just regular line cables will do you.

My amp doesn't have a phono setting so I had to make sure I had a turntable with a built in amplifier, the signal from vinyl is a lot weaker than that from other pieces of equipment.

I played pool the other night for the first time in about 5 years. I was never great but I just ran the table all night long. I think it was the beer and the Elvis Costello - This Year's Model on vinyl that did it. It was awesome hearing an album on vinyl again.

I did the same with Costello - Armed Forces recently, picked it up on vinyl in really good condition with some kind of fold out sleeve and postcards with it - it does sound sooooo good on vinyl imo...