Attn: Vinyl Enthusiasts - Please Help a Vinyl Newb

Hi folks,

So, I am comtemplating in getting a new hobby and I think it might just be collecting vinyl. Here is what I need to know:

1) How much is decent player with everything I need going to cost me? Also, what brand/player would you recommend? I would only really like to spend $100 on a player as I may not "get" the whole vinyl and do not want to invest a lot into a player (right now).

2) For a music enthusiast, I really know little about the "vinyl" sound. Other then it sounding warmer and more fuller, what else is great about it? If albums are kept in very good condition, will you still hear hiss and pops when playing them or does that come from only unkept records that scratched, etc?

3) Where are some good places to buy vinyl online OTHER then ebay? I know of Insound but that is it.

Thanks in advance.

Sound-wise the thing I like about vinyl is that you can hear the instruments more realistically. The "space" that you're hearing sounds much more like a room with musicians playing in it than a bunch of tracks of recorded music just playing at the same time.

Vinyl used to be all there was and there are lots of good used vinyl records out there. The recent vinyl collecting mania may be shorter lived than we know, but only time will tell. The best old records are from the 50s-early 70s. While some new vinyl sounds great, some doesn't wear all that well. I have had well used albums from the 60s sound better in terms of pops and surface noise than some more recently minted albums that I have bought used.

Frankly a rather inexpensive/refurbished turntable should work fine. Just make sure your tuner has the correct inputs, particularly a ground wire. See an old hi fi store for old turntables. I just had mine refurbished and actually the oldest one I have sounds great.

Remember that vinyl is somewhat fragile. You do have to handle it with some care and treat it right and it will work for a very long time. However surface noise, pops and other extraneous stuff is just part of the deal. New vinyl will sound great initially, but time does take a bit of a toll. Even a brand new disk may have some surface noise, although hopefully not. Remember, unlike CDs, vinyl is a highly mechanical process with a needle literally scratching the surface of a piece of plastic.

LouieB

I love my records. However, keep in mind that you have to flip records to hear the other side, unlike cds. Also, some records have only 15-20 minutes per side. This is my biggest argument against them as I like to listen to music when I am working on projects or cleaning house. And 4 sided albums can be a real pain in the ass.

I love my vinyl too... I have an old stereo that I got when I was in high school that came with a turntable that still works. I want to eventually get a new turntable because it is the only thing I still use on the clunky old stereo (takes up a lot of space...)

I just really like the sound of vinyl and the feel of the record in my hands. The artwork is grander (for lack of a better word). And, some record companies are starting to give you MP3's of the albums that you buy on vinyl, which I love, love, love! I just wish everyone would jump on board with that.

Insound is where I buy most of my albums, but you should also check out Sub Pop, Merge Records, and my favorite local store - Twist And Shout. I don't think T&S has as much vinyl as the others, but it's a great store so I like to plug 'em... :D

As for vinyl, find a store where they sell it. Browsing is terrific fun. Also used record stores are what make having vinyl a real kick; finding some obscure record for a reasonable price is the biggest kick in the world. Remember, don't ever pay too much for anything, because you will find it cheaper at some point. Obviously really obscure vinyl goes for alot on the open market, so try and find a reasonable and honest record store you can patronize. I have been totally astonished at the stuff I have found over the years.

LouieB

I have recently upgraded my home stereo to include vinyl and that is all i listen to at home any more.

I don't know if a hundred bucks will get you much for your $$. You should consider saving up and buying a quality new table or else spend the 100 on a new needle for a table that is given to you. Buy pieces at a time, your system will sound great and it will last you a life time.

I had 3K in my budget and was able to get some good "low end" audiophile gear. (some people spend that on audio cords!)For my budget Music Hall has a nice series of turntables, Onix has a quality tub amp priced reasonably and some nice Quad Speakers made it all come together.

You can spend up to a grand alone on a top of the line recored cleaner if you want to eliminate the pops that you get when the grooves get dust or other stuff in them.

Vinyl does take a lot of effort and money to get the most out of your listening pleasure, but set the needle on a nice 180 grams of AGIB or YHF is the only way a fan can understand the passion and detail that went into the production of those works.

As far as flipping the record... like anything else in life, the more work you put in to it the more rewarding the results.

Here is a link to where i got my stuff. Walter Underwood who owns the place is very helpful too, and always has some demo or used stuff to help save $$

http://www.underwoodhifi.com/

Or check out this site for auctions and classifieds.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/

If you have that kind of money to spend on an audiophile set up, fine, but otherwise scale back and buy what you can afford.

Clearly you can be totally compulsive about this and if you have the time and money for it, that's great. Most of us are somewhat poorer than that and even older non-perfect records are fun to listen to on moderately priced equipment. If you are going for THE best, then be prepared to pay alot. The rest of us just play vinyl records for the fun of it.

LouieB

I got my turntable at a thrift store for 15 bucks. If you don't want to invest a lot you can prolly find a decent one at a thrift shop like I did. Just make sure to plug it in grab a used record from there too play it and make sure everything works alright.

73_1.JPG

I got my turntable at a thrift store for 15 bucks. If you don't want to invest a lot you can prolly find a decent one at a thrift shop like I did. Just make sure to plug it in grab a used record from there too play it and make sure everything works alright.
Obviously I agree...but if you want to go up just one step try a used hi fi store also. Either way if you get one at a thrift shop there are still plenty of techs out there who can install a new cartridge and/or needle and you have a great turntable for the forseeable future.

Every vinyl collector has a different MO, but for me the fun is finding crazy shit cheap in used record stores and thrift stores. If you aren't going for the high end 180 gram new stuff, there are tons of older LPs out there that play great and are fun to have.

LouieB

To get the most out of Vinyl you will need to invest mucho$$ - To me the sound space and emediacy of the music is worth it. I also get off on all the gear necessary to get the most out of recorded music. If you only are willing to spend $100 bucks to get started - I wouldn't even bother.

However if you want some good starter tables, I would try Rega as my first choice: http://www.rega.co.uk/

or NAD has a couple of good starter tables: http://nadelectronics.com/products/turntables

Stick with a MM cartridge - dont get upsold a Moving Coil, you won't need one yet.

Cables are important, buy good ones - the best you can afford - Try Nordost: http://www.nordost.com/ or Monster Cable (if you have to) http://www.monstercable.com/home_av/

To get the most out of Vinyl you will need to invest mucho$$ - To me the sound space and emediacy of the music is worth it. I also get off on all the gear necessary to get the most out of recorded music. If you only are willing to spend $100 bucks to get started - I wouldn't even bother.
Like I said, everyone's MO is different. Personally I think this point of view is totally wrong, but what do I know, I just grew up with vinyl records (starting with 78s), so clearly I know very little.

LouieB

Like I said, everyone's MO is different. Personally I think this point of view is totally wrong, but what do I know, I just grew up with vinyl records (starting with 78s), so clearly I know very little.

LouieB

a piece of shit ford pinto will get you from point A to point B in about the same amount of time as it will in a Rolls Royce, but in the Rolls you will get a much quieter, smoother and enjoyable ride.

If all you care about is being able to play a recored go with the piece of shit pinto. If you want to be able to really hear what vinyl offers you gotta take a spin in the Rolls.

just a analogy...

dave

Wow. I picked up a nice Technics turntable in a thrift store that I play thru my thrift store Denon receiver and thirft store Radio Shack speakers and have never once though as I listen to a 180g record "This sounds like shit, I wish I could spend $193933838 on a better stereo, my life is soooo lacking."

This site is a great resource for buying parts if you choose to go down the path of older equipment, they also offer new stuff. The most important thing is that you enjoy the music and have fun.

Discouraging someone from driving because they can't afford a Rolls makes no sense either. Listening to records is supposed to be fun not some sort of competition about who has the best equipment. I have had the same old amp and speakers for decades and I enjoy the hell out of them, whether playing tapes, LPs or CDs, it doesn't bother me. I know all you guys with the 3K systems would probably never put even one of my 4000 LPs on your system, which doesn't bother me in the least either (I drive a decade and a half old Toyota, which gets me from point A to point B just fine.) Like I said, everyone's MO is different so enjoy your expensive equipment and your pristine LPs. I am just fine with my system and my LPs.

LouieB

I played pool the other night for the first time in about 5 years. I was never great but I just ran the table all night long. I think it was the beer and the Elvis Costello - This Year's Model on vinyl that did it. It was awesome hearing an album on vinyl again.

I played pool the other night for the first time in about 5 years. I was never great but I just ran the table all night long. I think it was the beer and the Elvis Costello - This Year's Model on vinyl that did it. It was awesome hearing an album on vinyl again.
Was it the US version or the English version?

LouieB

You guys are turning this thread in to some type of elitist "my shits better than your shit" but my intention to answer the original post was to provide info on my experience. i have had a number of different qualities of gear through out my life and i can hear a difference in it. Like it our not you pay for what you get in this world.

Louie I could care less what you can afford or how long you have been a vinyl listener or that you have 4000 LP's and i only have 200. but don't accuse me of some bull shit blanket statement.

I'm not discouraging any one from enjoying vinyl. Get what you can afford but don't expect caviar results on a sardine budget.

Louie I could care less what you can afford or how long you have been a vinyl listener or that you have 4000 LP's and i only have 200. but don't accuse me of some bull shit blanket statement.

I'm not discouraging any one from enjoying vinyl. Get what you can afford but don't expect caviar results on a sardine budget.

I just don't buy it (literally and figuratively.) I have heard and seen all kinds of high end equipment in my time congrats that you feel like you want and need it. I just don't think all that high end shit is worth it in the long run. Sardines are perfectly good food, in fact probably better than caviar. A reasonable turntable and amp plays perfectly good. There are people out there that believe 33.3 albums are inferior to 78s and there are LOTS of people who believe that tube amps are far better than transistors. I don't know, probably it is correct that a 78 played on a tube amp is better than anything else. (Sadly they don't make 78s anymore.)

But discouraging someone from collecting a few albums and listening to them on a cheaper turntable is one point of view, but I think if anyone wants to give it a try, buy a pinto and work your way up to a Rolls if you can. Oh and by the way, Sam and I didn't turn this into an elitist snob thing, you guys did. We made a reasonable suggestion to a reasonable question. If you want to collect some vinyl go for it. Its fun, that's it.

LouieB

i have a crappy mono, built-in-speaker unit that i'm quite happy with...

but expensive turntables definitely sound better.

i mostly just have vinyl that i found cheap and used or stuff that isn't on cd though.

i would also point out that on many newer releases, the mastering sucks all the life out of the recording anyhow, so the "warmer" vinyl sound doesn't make a whole lot of difference. esp if its digitally mastered.

Good point all around....

A decade from now we will all be sitting around going....remember the good old days when people were buying vinyl again? Wonder what ever happened to that.

My first record player had steel needles that you changed when one got dull (how did we know, you got me?). I wish I still had that to play the few 78s I own because it scares me to play 78s with a hi fi needle.

LouieB