Sufjan & Calexico on ACL this week.

from Pitchfork:

Pitchfork's T.V. Eye is pretty sweet (and not because I'm in charge of it), but sometimes there's a television show out there that warrants more than just a passing mention in a weekly programming lineup. Case in point? "Austin City Limits".

This Saturday (November 4), Sufjan "dirty 'stache" Stevens and Calexico will star on the long-running PBS live music series, the former performing "Jacksonville", "Casmir Pulaski Day", "The Dress Looks Nice on You", and "Oh Detroit, Lift Up Your Weary Head", and the latter "Across the Wire", "Not Even Stevie Nicks", "El Picador", "Sunken Waltz", "Letter to Bowie Knife", "All Systems Red", and-- with Iron & Wine's Sam and Sarah Beam as special guests-- "He Lays in the Reins". TiVos at the ready!

Future guest highlights include the Raconteurs and Cat Power on December 30, and Damian Marley on January 6, with the network showing "encore presentations" (read: reruns) of Franz Ferdinand/What Made Milwaukee Famous on November 25 and Ben Folds/Ray LaMontagne on December 2. Other acts scheduled to appear in the coming months: Van Morrison, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, James Blunt, and the Dixie Chicks.

I thought they were both quite good, Calexico better.

agreed. I can't figure out whether I love sufjan's stuff or if it will end up annoying the piss out of me at times. Guess I'll give it a fair try, there were some beautiful melodies, arrangements and harmonies in those tunes.

calexico was just brilliant. I've been so pigeon-holed musically for the past years that I've let some bands like this slip through. now I'm regretting it. Downloading some of their stuff right now and am looking forward to ordering their cds. I was constantly surprised and smiling during that set. Just enjoyable through and through. I'm glad I saw them before just listening, because I might have dismissed the horns and spanish flair as somewhat of a bit, but it really works live.