Beck at Gypsy Tea Room, Dallas

I got to see Beck play a club show last night for $12. Here's something I wrote for my paper's blog. Follow the link for the setlist. Did anyone else know Giovanni Ribisi could play guitar?

Giovanni played guitar on the 99 Red Balloons cover by "Van Nuys" on the My Name Is Early Soundtrack, along w/ Jason Lee, Dave Lombardo, and some other guy

is there a site to check where Beck has been announcing these shows? beck.com?

i know he did one in DC over the weekend and my friend didn't get in.

I got to see Beck play a club show last night for $12. Here's something I wrote for my paper's blog. Follow the link for the setlist. Did anyone else know Giovanni Ribisi could play guitar?

What!!! that's my stompin' grounds for gigs! where in the world did you hear about that and how much notice did you get for it?

I feel sick to my stomach for not being there!

What!!! that's my stompin' grounds for gigs! where in the world did you hear about that and how much notice did you get for it?

I feel sick to my stomach for not being there!

I found out at work Tuesday afternoon just as tickets went on sale. They were sold out an hour or so later. I think he's announcing these secret gigs on his website, as there were quite a few people there who'd driven in from out of town. He said they just decided to book a few club shows on their way back to LA from NYC.

Thanks for the info good Dr. but please tell me the puppets weren't there... When i saw them back in June i thought it one of the most unique and original idea i have seen in rock.

I loved the Nokia show and that show full blown at the tea room with me and my wife not in attendance would be just too much. I already have to go home this evening and break the bad news to the wife that we missed this gig. She is the bigger Beck fan but who expects me to keep an eye on our live music world...

Did you see anyone taping?

is there a site to check where Beck has been announcing these shows? beck.com?

i know he did one in DC over the weekend and my friend didn't get in.

Yeah, he played the tiny back room of the Black Cat in DC. It sounded like it was amazing -- some details if you care to read them

I didn't get the impression that it was posted on his site, rather that it was a controlled leak by way of some local blogs.

Thanks for the info good Dr. but please tell me the puppets weren't there... When i saw them back in June i thought it one of the most unique and original idea i have seen in rock.

I loved the Nokia show and that show full blown at the tea room with me and my wife not in attendance would be just too much. I already have to go home this evening and break the bad news to the wife that we missed this gig. She is the bigger Beck fan but who expects me to keep an eye on our live music world...

Did you see anyone taping?

No puppets. According to one puppeteer's blog, the SNL gig was their last appearance with Beck, at least for the time being. Finally, the puppeteers are blogging! It's like when the punk rockers took acid...

I didn't see anyone taping, unfortunately, but it's possible someone did. If I find anything I'll post a link...

I found out at work Tuesday afternoon just as tickets went on sale. They were sold out an hour or so later. I think he's announcing these secret gigs on his website, as there were quite a few people there who'd driven in from out of town. He said they just decided to book a few club shows on their way back to LA from NYC.

Same with the Halloween show in Atlanta. Found out about midday Monday. Sold out almost immediately. Fantastic show. Small room (the Loft). $12.

Band and much of crowd in costume.

• 2 weeks later...