Never thought they looked that similar, but an auditory SAB occurs when you listen to the first few albums from both of them. Somewhat different musical styles, but similar vocal deliveries.

Talking about sounding like Elvis Costello, I was listening to Jay Bennett's latest record and he has got some kind of EC envy or something. From the Imperial Bedroom like front cover to the vocal delivery to some of the production flourishes (e.g. Everyday I Write the Book piano riff in one tune.) I like some of Jays tunes but I'm having a hard time getting past the Elvis cloning on his latest.

Never thought they looked that similar, but an auditory SAB occurs when you listen to the first few albums from both of them. Somewhat different musical styles, but similar vocal deliveries.

I always thought Graham Parker was an elvis wannabe -- and that this explained the similarities in the first few albums. Not that Parker wasn't wildly talented, just that he was trying to ride on some EC coattails.

I always thought Graham Parker was an elvis wannabe -- and that this explained the similarities in the first few albums. Not that Parker wasn't wildly talented, just that he was trying to ride on some EC coattails.

Sorry, but this is completely incorrect. Parker's career began before Costello's, and his first album came out a year earlier than Costello's.

Sorry, but this is completely incorrect. Parker's career began before Costello's, and his first album came out a year earlier than Costello's.

Yeah, I was just about to say that. I think the first couple of Parker albums sound like the first couple of Bruce Springsteen albums to some extent. Also, the fact that The Rumour were once Brinsley Schwarz (Nick Lowe's band) and Nick Lowe was very important in Costello's early career, that is were the similar sound comes from.