Well Tweedy's got a more ideal situation then most of us, he's running his acoustic through more then one channel, he splits the signal. So the dry signal is always going while the one going through the sweet reverb pedal is usually shut off by the volume pedal being in the off position. He eases it forward to introduce the echo in a second channel going through the PA. Nonetheless if you just check out a Holy Grail or a Boss Delay/Reverb you can probably get it to taste using the more common on/off procedure as opposed to the fancy mix in with volume pedal method.

yeh perhaps, i just liked the idea of the pedal...seems like he gets a smoother effect rather then just wacking it on and he can adjust it to his liking, its just a little more expressive, i wonder if anyone makes a delay pedal with a mix/volume kinda pedal

is the holy grail not digital though?, not that its a bad thing

i just remember reading an interview with neil young saying how you should never put anything digital in the signal, i thought tweedy would be of the same belief

Well the Holy Grail is digital, but the interesting thing is a lot of analog lovers still use it. It's really hard to get a pedal that does delay, or reverb thats not digital without spending absurd amounts of money, and even the digital ones fall between one and two hundred bucks. Neil Young uses the reverb on his awesome Fender amp which is a spring reverb. The holy grail is common enough you can walk into a guitar shop and try it out, see what you think. It tricks me.

nah its an old fender Reverb unit he has, seperate to the amp and he uses an MXR analog delay pedal mostly

"JO: What effects do you use the most?

NY: An original tube Echoplex, an MXR analog delay, a Boss flanger, and an old white Fender reverb unit with new springs that are separate. The springs are on a microphone stand that goes on the cement floor of the building. It extends up to the bottom of the stage, and the spring stands on top of the microphone stand and the wire comes through a hole in the stage completely separate. I can't use it if I don't do that, because if I jump onstage, the spring rattles. It has to be isolated from the surface of anything that's vibrating. "

• 1 month later...