Recording Equipement

• 1 month later...

I'd look into the Line 6 Tone Port and pursue PC based recording. The TP is only $199 and it pretty much does it all, I really like the bass and vocal models. I use mine for everything from vocals to drums and get great results. Using a DI box like the TP with a mixer is even better. I have a total of less than 1.5K invested in my entire studio including mics, well I guess that doesn't include the PC but I already had that.

I did everything on the cheap, Peavey 12 channel board, Tone Port, Fostex powered monitors and sub, Shure 58's and 57's and Nady drum mics. People are amazed by how good my recordings sound. I like to tease the Firepod folks.

Anyway I originally had just the Line 6 box and one Shure 58. For recordings without drums I was able to go direct for everything with good to great results. The more time I spend getting a good sound before I push record the better the end result. That doesn't change regardless of what you use to record.