Lucinda Williams

http://www.lucindawilliams.com/

Loss and loneliness are at the core of Lucinda Williams' eighth album, "West," slated to be released Feb. 13 via Lost Highway.

The disc finds the critically acclaimed singer/songwriter coping with another painful breakup and the passing of her mother, whom she reminisces in songs like "Mama You Sweet" and "Fancy Funeral." In such songs as "Come On," "Learning How to Live" and "Everything Has Changed," the Grammy winner again deals with heartbreak.

"The songs deal with a chapter in my life and they definitely tell a story," says Williams. "It's probably been the most prolific time in my life as a writer. I'd been through so many changes -- my mother's death and a very tumultuous relationship that ended badly -- so obviously there's a lot of pain and struggling, but it ends with a look toward the future."

Featuring the Jayhawks' Gary Louris, celebrated drummer Jim Keltner, longtime Dylan bassist Tony Garnier (both of whom played on her "Essence" disc) and Williams' longtime guitarist Doug Petibone, "West" was co-produced by Williams and Hal Willner, whose credits include Elvis Costello, Lou Reed and Bill Frisell, who also guests on the "West."

The album's 13 songs together form a largely down-tempo disc, but "West" doesn't only find Williams in a somber mood. "Mama You Sweet" is upbeat and "Come On" is a nasty, almost raunchy kiss-off, musically akin to "Atonement" from her last album, 2003's "World Without Tears."

She injects doses of hope and light in tracks like "What If," in which she imagines a world where the president wears pink and a prostitute is a queen.

"I get tired of people looking at my songs and feeling that they're all sad and dark," she says. "There's more to them than that. Some people might read Flannery O'Connor and see that as simply dark -- and it is dark and disturbing --- but there's a philosophical aspect, even a comical aspect to it as well. I think that's all there on this album. It's a full circle, like I've come through a metamorphosis."

Just like all of her albums - I don't think I will buy it - I don't really listen to her very much anymore. I have all of them - except for the live album.
I have nearly all of them (I think I am missing the first Smithsonian), but she sounded so screetchy on the last live album, I never did get it. Nice article on her in the last ND.

LouieB

I think there was a new version of Car Wheels that came out not long ago also.
You are correct...I don't have that either. I am not sure what is on it, but I have wanted the original recordings for some time. Anyone got those that could send them to me?

LouieB

The re-lease has a bunch of bonus live stuff she did during a radio station stint that's very decent, as well. Louie, why do you seek the earlier version of this great album?
A couple years ago I was talking to a music critic from Ann Arbor who said he had it and it was better than the released version. I didn't know him well enough to say...burn me a copy, so I have been thinking about it ever since. Car Wheels is great the way it is now, but I would just like to hear what it sounded like before she scraped that version.

LouieB

No luck - I thought for sure I saw this on dime a dozen at some point - it's called

Lucinda Williams - Unreleased Mix Car Wheels On Gravel Road Album 1st Version / Gurf Morlix Mix [1CD] SBD 65min

?

World Without Tears is a pretty damn good album. It's downbeat and dark, and there are a few clunkers, but there are still some really powerful songs on there.

The Car Wheels release is ok. It's mostly good for the live set on Disc 2; there are a coulpe of additional tracks on Disc 1, but nothing special.

The Car Wheels original versions are not better than the real thing, IMO.

I was just about to ask if West had leaked yet. I'm assuming not?

At any rate, Lu's arguably the best songwriter working today. She's got a heartbreaking voice, a great ear for melody, and some of her lyrics are just devastating. Essence has some real doozies in the form of "I Envy the Wind" and "Bus to Baton Rouge." Not exactly uplifting music, but always worth the wait. That said, none of the four tracks from West over on Lost Highway are impressing me all that much, but I'm willing to bet they'll sound better in the context of the album.