Albums for my kid

Hey, thanks for the input everyone --- I'm going to check out a few of these recommendations this weekend.

The Beatles were a big part of my childhood too. The first 45 I ever bought was Strawberry Fields Forever with Penny Lane on the B side. I think I was seven or eight.

Thanks again!

I rememeber listening to the Beatles early hits collection ( the red cover ) on a little boombox

in my bunk bed many times over, also remember having a strange fascination with Steve Miller's Abracadabra, I taped

off of MTV with my boombox, must have sounded terrible.

My 3 year old nephew digs The Breeders 'Cannonball' and XTC's 'Peter Pumpkin head'

The boys refuse to fall asleep unless this is on the stereo:

B00005R62U.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V37080676_.jpg

We forgot it one weekend when we went downstate to visit my folks and an Enya CD my Ma had laying around did not work nearly as effective. Outside of that, they seem to like everything from Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros to the Beastie Boys.

P.S. The album was done by Jason Falkner.

The boys refuse to fall asleep unless this is on the stereo:

B00005R62U.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V37080676_.jpg

We forgot it one weekend when we went downstate to visit my folks and an Enya CD my Ma had laying around did not work nearly as effective. Outside of that, they seem to like everything from Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros to the Beastie Boys.

P.S. The album was done by Jason Falkner.

thanks for mentioning jason. sometimes i feel like the only person who's ever heard of him. btw: paul mccartney gave this jason disc a big thumbs up. it's always nice to get a good mention from one of the guys who wrote the songs in the first place.

http://ellenandmatt.net/

Somebody just gave this disc to my daughter and it is fantastic. Influences from the Beatles to The Pixies to The Ramones. She was rocking out in the backseat this morning, slapping her leg and bobbing her head. I would HIGHLY recommend.

"The surprises never end on this CD, and that's one of the things I love about it. First, it's a lot of fun to hear a kids' album and wonder if it really is a kids' album. The music is so great that, if you didn't listen to the lyrics, you would swear this was some new indie rock CD. Second, every time you think you know what's coming next, you get thrown a curve melodically or composition-wise...The Kennedys' empathetic lyrics about kid concerns like friendship, courage, bicycles, bedtime, dreams, zoos, and, of course, juice boxes, show a great talent for writing from and relating to a child's perspective. Musically, the songs on Best Friends are shaded with light brushstrokes of George Harrison, Sloan, the Sundays, the Byrds, Fleetwood Mac, Smashing Pumpkins, Blondie, the Ramones, and, yes, (even their website admits it) the Carpenters...Great tunes, great production (especially the drums), great debut CD." - Warren Truitt, Children's Music That Rocks

This is what I explicitly remember from my childhood (the late 1980s):

Tom Chapin (Harry Chapin's very underrated brother, excellent children's songs)

They Might Be Giants' late 80s albums

Rosenschantz (very cheesey)

The Beatles

James Taylor

Paul Simon solo (all about Graceland)

Peter Gabriel solo

Simon & Garfunkel

Sesame Street of course

A tape my aunt and uncle made of children's lullabys and songs for my mom to play to us

classical music and opera

various musicals

the last two were a result of my dad being a former student of the Cleveland Institute of Music as well as a singer in the Cleveland Orchestra Choir. Though my mom was also into musicals, having been a singer at CIM for a little awhile as well.

the last two were a result of my dad being a former student of the Cleveland Institute of Music as well as a singer in the Cleveland Orchestra Choir. Though my mom was also into musicals, having been a singer at CIM for a little awhile as well.
I saw the Clevleand Orchestra Choir a few times..they kicked ass. (Directed by Robert Shaw at the time if memory serves me well...which it may not.....I slept through a few Orchestra concerts at Severence in my time....)

LouieB

I saw the Clevleand Orchestra Choir a few times..they kicked ass. (Directed by Robert Shaw at the time if memory serves me well...which it may not.....I slept through a few Orchestra concerts at Severence in my time....)

LouieB

My old man was with them on-again, off-again throughout the late 70s to the early 90s. (he was also in various local choirs).

When Tel Arc came to town, my dad was lucky enough to be involved when they recorded this:

B000003CVQ.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1115836527_.jpg

Yea, all that was after my time in Cleveland, I did some excellent sleeping through Orchestra concerts during the 60s, when George Szell was still there. I am half kidding about the sleeping. I did sleep some, but I also saw some fantastic stuff as well.

You still in Cleveland? Not me, I escaped decades ago....

LouieB