Intro to "Wait Up" solo

• 2 years later...

I usually play it on standard tuning as well. I'll have to try open G cuz that A shape can cramp my fingers after a while...

For the ENDING riff, the previous poster is right. Hammer on 1234 while in between picking the strings (sometimes I go 2345 instead). I pick the G string personally. For the intro, to my ear, I hammer on 2324 with the pick of the G in between, but that 's just what I hear.

Glad I'm not the only one playing this. I love to play this song, and my wife looks at me crooked because I play it so much. Such a great sound to it...

I know on disc 2 of IATTBYH, he uses a pick to play this song, which I find to be much more difficult than fingerpicking it...I don't use picks very much. The last couple of times I've seen this played he hasn't used a pick, just his thumb and index finger strumming pattern like on Remember the Mountain Bed and Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down...along with others. I found that once I learned this strum, which I must say is awkward to me, after a bit of practice, it opened up a lot of Tweedy's songs to me...mostly his solo stuff.

I have fat fingers too...try this (it works for me) for the A pattern: Push the G and B strings of the A pattern by flattening either your ring or middle finger across both strings (I use my ring finger) then relatively use either the middle or the the index finger to bounce back and fourth between the D and A strings. Just a thought...hope that helps.