thinking about upgrading from my Vox Valvetronix to one of the new AC30s

but i cannot decide between the 1 or 2 speaker option, trouble is ive only ever found the 2x12 in shops so have not seen/heard the 1 speaker

there is only 20 quid between them so price doesnt come into it really, but the 2x12 weighs 70 pounds!

this my reason for leaning towards the 1 speaker

but pardon my ignorance, same wattage, but will the 2 speaker be twice as loud?

or is the sound simply split in 2?

I don't know what prices are like over there, but here the CC1 and CC2's have a bigger price difference, like about $300-900 depending on which speakers you have in the CC2. I'd assume there's something behind that. The only noticeable difference in terms of features is that the 1 speaker comes with a Celestion Neodynium Neo Dog Speaker, I don't know how that is, but the 2 speaker comes with either Vox GSH 12-30 Speakers or Celestion AlNiCo "Blue" Speakers.

That being said, I'm not an expert about amps at all, but I would say unless you are planning on doing some more serious gigging I would stick with the 1 speaker, the weight difference definitely could be helpful, and if you do gig more seriously you could always make sure it's miced.

The main difference is the sound dispertion abilities of the speakers. This means that in a 1x12, you have 12 inches of speaker pushing air. In a 2x12, you have 24 inches. The extra speaker area gives you more bass, and a general clarity that isnt in the 1x12. The other difference is that the 1x12 will have more speaker distortion than the 2x12, so you will have a generally cleaner sound overall with the 2x12.

One is not better than the other though, they are just different.

well i do plan on gigging, thats why i want the lighter one!

its so hard to lift a CC2

over here the CC1 is 529 and the CC2 is 549

then you can get the CC2 with the expensive speakers thats alot more

Hmm, I mean, for that price difference I would be inclined to go for the CC2, but I don't know how well those Vox stock speakers hold up. I'd look around at that stuff first. You could always spring for some wheels on the bottom of the CC2 to make it a little more bearable, but I'm pretty sure that it would give you more clarity/sound projection in a band setting. However, I use a single speaker fender and haven't had much trouble with it in live settings, so the CC1 might still be your best bet...both in terms of weight and speaker quality/life (Celestions are pretty solid speakers).

• 3 weeks later...