I've heard differing opinions on how much one should fill up hard drives, and am seeking a little input from those with past experiences re same.

I try to keep my main C hard drive at or below 50-75%, but I've bought an external hard drive for torrents and some backups, and am wondering how much I should fill it up before moving on to a second external.

Thoughts?

If you have a lot of RAM (and thus your computer won't have to page stuff onto the hard drive) then the % shouldn't matter so long as it's not in the high nineties.

Exactly - If you have 1-2 gig of ram, I would turn your page file off.

Guest tandylacker

Not to be a negative nancy, but watch out with those external hard drives. Unless you spend lots of money, they are typically not as reliable as your computer's hard drive may be...

I put alot of my torrent stuff on DVDs. Holds lots of space and I trust a DVD over external hard drives.

Cheaper too.

Not to be a negative nancy, but watch out with those external hard drives. Unless you spend lots of money, they are typically not as reliable as your computer's hard drive may be...

I put alot of my torrent stuff on DVDs. Holds lots of space and I trust a DVD over external hard drives.

Cheaper too.

thanks for the advice. I do have a dvd burner, so I'll have to look into that. Do you use any specific storing software when doing this?