New single on iTunes "On Call." I'm absolutely head over heels for it. I love this band. This song def. sounded like it would be the first single when I saw them open for Bobby D, and all the other new stuff sounded great too. Anyone else fucking excited for the April 3rd release?

saw them do the new material (on call; black thumbnail (?); arizona (?) ) when they supported pearl jam in oz in november

when i heard these new tracks i instantly loved them all, but i'm completely biased

[see my avatar :wub ]

and of course can't wait until april 3!

Heard On Call on their MySpace site last week, and wasn't very impressed. I've always quite liked KoL but this song was a bit tame and I couldn't get over the fact at how polished and bright it all sounded. It even had synths on it (or what sounded like them in the intro). cough cough The Killers cough.

I'm looking forward to it. I think they have tons of potential.

So far this year I'm excited about:

The new Kings of Leon

Zappa: Imaginary Diseases (released last year, but wasn't available through normal retail sources until this year) It should be in my mailbox today.

Tin Hat: Sad Machinery of Spring (possibly their best album to date)

Nels Cline Singers: Draw Breath

Lucinda Williams: West

Wilco: Sky Blue Sky

I wanted to be excited by the new Shins cd, but both songs I've heard sound really overproduced, like there's a thick layer of gloss on everything.

I'm listening to the album now. A lot of the first half is full of rock that caters to meatheads too much, that's the best way I have of describing it. I love Knocked Up, On Call, Fans, Ragoo so far. I'll keep listening to this.

• 4 weeks later...

Just received their 1st Leg tour announcement:

COACHELLA AND BONNAROO APPEARANCES CONFIRMED

LETTERMAN AND LENO PERFORMANCES CONFIRMED

RCA Records is proud to announce that Kings of Leon have confirmed the first leg of a nationwide US tour. The tour is in support of the new record, "Because Of The Times," to be released on April 3rd. Bookended by appearances at the Coachella and Bonnaroo festivals, the tour will start at Coachella and heads to Seattle on May 2. After the June 14 date in Columbus , OH , the tour finishes at the Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival. More touring is to follow during the summer and into the fall and winter of 2007. The complete list of dates for the first leg of the tour is below.

On March 26, one week before release date, Kings of Leon return to the "Late Show with David Letterman" to perform the single "On Call." One month later, on April 27, just before the Coachella performance, the band will return to the "Tonight Show with Jay Leno."

To make "Because Of The Times," the band turned once again to producers Ethan Johns and Angelo Petraglia. It is the Tennessee-based band's first record since 2004's widely acclaimed "Aha Shake Heartbreak," which firmly established the Followills - Nathan, Caleb, Jared and Matthew -- as international stars.

Coming off an immense amount of touring over the last two years both as headliners, world-wide festival staples and openers for the likes of U2, Bob Dylan and Pearl Jam, the ambitious and eclectic "Because Of The Times" (the title refers to an annual preachers' conference the boys attended growing up) is Kings of Leon's most diverse collection yet and represents a major evolution for the band. Brimming with ideas, it represents a huge leap forward both in songwriting and musical prowess. "We took the limitations off of ourselves," says frontman/rhythm guitarist Caleb. "We went into the studio with an open mind, thinking let's do whatever it takes to get these songs to the next level. Because we really have a lot of music inside of us and a lot of different places we can go."

Adds drummer/singer Nathan: "We weren't scared to try anything. I think that's the difference between this album and the last. We weren't timid at all. Every song showed us something we had inside of ourselves that we didn't know existed, which enabled us to be even bolder on the next song."

Early media response to "Because Of The Times" has been glowing. The "Observer Monthly" in England awarded the record five stars, while in America, "Esquire" hailed "Because Of The Times" is "a classic rock album in the truest sense, and "Filter" said, the record "is the Kings' fiery repentance for unplanned pregnancies, black Camaros and the sins of the road, and it is their finest confession to date." "American Songwriter" said the record is "heavy on the emotion and insistent hooks that remain KOL trademarks," and "Relix" noted "the Kings of Leon may be fit for a crown."

The tour dates are below:

April

28 Indio , CA Coachella Festival

May

2 Seattle , WA Moore Theater

3 Portland , OR Crystal Ballroom

5 Denver , CO Ogden

6 Kansas City , MO Voodoo Lounge @ Harrah's

7 Tulsa , OK Cains

9 Austin, TX Stubbs

11 New Orleans , LA House of Blues

12 Houston , TX Warehouse Live

13 Dallas , TX House of Blues

15 Indianapolis , IN Vogue

17 Milwaukee , WI Rave

18 Minneapolis , MN First Ave

19 Chicago , IL Riviera

21 Louisville , KY Headliners

22 Cleveland , OH House of Blues

24 Cincinnati , OH Bogarts

25 St. Louis , MO Pageant

June

1 Atlanta , GA Tabernacle

2 Asheville , NC Orange Peel

4 NBC TV CONAN O'BRIEN

5 New York , NY Roseland

6 Boston , MA Avalon

7 Philadelphia , PA Electric Factory

12 Toronto , ONT Kool Haus

15 Manchester , TN Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival

-KOL

i think it's funny people are hating on "Charmer" that's my favorite song on the album. i love everything on it, but "Charmer" "Black Thumbnail" and "My Party" especially. "Charmer" has some real pixies-esque moments that really get me going.