The Autumn Defense

Great, great show, though the venue didn't seem like a great fit. Reading the other threads, it sounds like there were a lot more people here (100-150), but it was a huge "scene". It seemed like at least half the crowd didn't know who the band was, and there was a lot of talking. The crowd was very thin towards the end. None of this took away from the show at all.

Now the good stuff: A string quartet played with them for 5 or 6 songs in the middle, and they sounded AWESOME. The band was clearly loving it, John appearing the most blown away by their songs in full arrangement. Nels was there watching and towards the end jammed out on a song (it sounded like a cover, but I ashamedly haven't heard the new album yet), playing some antique-looking Gibson hollow-body.

They closed with the Fleetwood Mac cover.

I loved the stuff off Circles and loved the sound of the songs on the new album. I've been lazy about getting it but it's now at the top of my list.

string ensemble! nice.

thanks for the review, keith. i left town this weekend and had to miss the show.

spaceland is a good spot, but there do tend to be the people who come for the scene and not the band. rats.

which fleetwood mac song did they play?

and nels?! hot damn!

It was the Section Quartet. I guess they are a hit around the LA scene (I dunno, I'm from San Diego), cause they got a huge applause from the crowd (honestly, I think it was louder than the applause for the band). In any case, they were great and it was a real treat to hear those songs with full arrangements.

The Fleetwood Mac song was Sentimental Lady, looks like they've been closing with that regularly this tour. It was a fun way to go out.

Great, great show.