Buckner is in the middle of a long string of dates with a backing band called Six Parts Seven.

I'm really curious to hear how these shows have been...it's been a long time that Buckner's toured with more than one accompanying musician.

Anyone checked out a show?

Here's his dates:

Sun Feb 18th 2007 Brooklyn, NY @ Union Hall

Mon Feb 19th 2007 Arlington, VA @ Iota Club & Cafe

Tue Feb 20th 2007 Philadelphia, PA @ North Star Bar

Wed Feb 21st 2007 State College, PA @ Darkhorse Tavern

Thu Feb 22nd 2007 Newport, KY @ Southgate House

Fri Feb 23rd 2007 Chicago, IL @ Schuba's Tavern

Sat Feb 24th 2007 Springfield, MO @ Randy Bacon Gallery

Sun Feb 25th 2007 Grinnell, IA @ Grinnell College

Mon Feb 26th 2007 Iowa City, IA @ The Picador

Tue Feb 27th 2007 Madison, WI @ High Noon Saloon

Wed Feb 28th 2007 St. Paul, MN @ Turf Club

Thu Mar 1st 2007 Des Moines, IA @ Vaudeville Mews

Fri Mar 2nd 2007 Lawrence, KS @ Jackpot Saloon

Sat Mar 3rd 2007 St.Louis, MO @ Billiken Club

Tue Mar 27th 2007 Chattanooga, TN @ Lamar's Hotel and Restaurant

Wed Mar 28th 2007 Memphis, TN @ Hi-Tone Cafe

Thu Mar 29th 2007 Denton, TX @ Dan's Silverleaf

Fri Mar 30th 2007 Austin, TX @ Emo's

Sat Mar 31st 2007 Lubbock, TX @ Jake's Back Room

Sun Apr 1st 2007 Marfa, TX @ Ballroom Marfa

Mon Apr 2nd 2007 Tuscon, AZ @ Club Congress

Wed Apr 4th 2007 Los Angeles, CA @ The Echo

Thu Apr 5th 2007 San Francisco, CA @ Cafe Du Nord

Sat Apr 7th 2007 Portland, OR @ Dante's

Mon Apr 9th 2007 Bellingham, WA @ The Nightlight

Tue Apr 10th 2007 Seattle, WA @ Crocodile Cafe

Wed Apr 11th 2007 Boise, ID @ Neurolux

Fri Apr 13th 2007 Denver, CO @ Larimer Lounge

Tue Apr 17th 2007 Auckland New Zealand @ The Schooner Tavern

Wed Apr 18th 2007 Wellington New Zealand @ SFBH

Thu Apr 19th 2007 Brisbane Australia @ The Troubadour

Fri Apr 20th 2007 Sydney Australia @ The Basement

Sat Apr 21st 2007 Melbourne Australia @ The Corner Hotel

Sun Apr 22nd 2007 Adelaide Australia @ The Grace Emily

Buckner is in the middle of a long string of dates with a backing band called Six Parts Seven.

I'm really curious to hear how these shows have been...it's been a long time that Buckner's toured with more than one accompanying musician.

Anyone checked out a show?

Here's his dates:

Sun Feb 25th 2007 Grinnell, IA @ Grinnell College

Seeing as he is playing our small on campus coffee house, I can't imagine I would miss it. I'll get back to you Sunday :thumbup

Seeing as he is playing our small on campus coffee house, I can't imagine I would miss it. I'll get back to you Sunday :thumbup

:w00t

Maybe I should come back for a visit ... hmmmm ... Sunday night show, followed by a nine-hour drive and work the next morning at 8 AM ... it's a no-brainer! :stunned

Is this in a newer building, or do they still have a coffeehouse beneath Quad?

:w00t

Maybe I should come back for a visit ... hmmmm ... Sunday night show, followed by a nine-hour drive and work the next morning at 8 AM ... it's a no-brainer! :stunned

Is this in a newer building, or do they still have a coffeehouse beneath Quad?

It's still in Bob's below Quad so it should be sweet! :thumbup But I'm thinking a nine hour drive is a little intense :lol

Though there is at least one unannounced and not yet officially confirmed show that may well be worth the drive if you're a fan, PM for details. :ninja

In Albany? From a past tour, correct?

Last summer. I'm thinking it was just a one-shot show opportunity, as he said he was up for the weekend from the city, staying at his girlfriends mother's house in Clifton Park, which is our local big box, giant pink houses cookie cutter bedroom community. Which sort of cracked me up -- it's one of those places where there's "no there there".

I have to disagree. Although he was sitting down, I thought he and the Six Parts Seven sounded great.

I just don't expect to see him dancing or engaging in witty banter in between songs so I am not disappointed.

The songs from Meadow that he played full band sounded awesome. Tether and the Tie and Boy the Night Will Bury You solo acoustic were great as well.

Did he have a tremendouse stage presence previously? Is that why people are dissapointed?

I guess i am the exception, I liked Ben Harper better when he was sitting down.

Buckner's show are never as exciting as good rock shows, but I can be mesmerized by his voice and guitar alone. I'm hoping to see the Buckner/Six Parts Seven show this weekend, and will report back if I do so.

I just found the following from the Daily Iowan online:

The Daily Iowan

Article by John C. Schlotfelt

You want to know a bad combination? Try a tour van full of equipment and icy roads. Ohio's Six Parts Seven has already encountered its fair share after only a week on the road. "Yeah, it's almost best not to tour this time of year," founding Six Parts Seven member Allen Karpinski said via phone from just outside of St. Louis. However, Karpinski and his bandmates - including co-founding brother Jay - can vouch for the lonely desolation Midwest winters can create. And for that reason, the band members have weathered more adverse conditions in order to bring them to the Picador tonight.

Six Parts Seven will gain one more part as it opens for grizzled countryman Richard Buckner. Or maybe more accurately, Buckner will gain six parts. The Ohio quartet is touring behind its newest record, Casually Smashed to Pieces - which features album art as deliciously juxtaposed as the title - and providing punch to Buckner's set by acting as backing band.

Founded 12 years ago by the Karpinski brothers, Six Parts Seven became an instrumental act out of necessity. "If one of us could sing well enough, we wouldn't be an instrumental band," Allen Karpinski said. Six Parts Seven also took a long look at its strengths and didn't see lyrics to be among their number. "We just needed to concentrate on what we did best: the music," Karpinski said.

Instead of human voices, the band has opted for instruments to do the singing. On Casually Smashed to Pieces, horns burst through layers of guitars and lap-steel slides; pocket trumpets and coronets exchange melodies and harmonize with melancholy sweeps of slide guitar. Buckner is a wholly different instrument to add to the mix and a bit of a wild card, too.

Only two weeks before tonight's performance - and only a slim five days prior to departing on tour - Six Parts Seven and Buckner sat down for the first and only rehearsal, though the guys were afforded several weeks before to work through the proposed set list and arrange the backing instrumentation. In fact, the rehearsal session was so impromptu, Buckner wasn't totally prepared. "He was reading from the lyric book from the CD," Karpinski laughed, acknowledging the occasionally slap-dash tour groundwork. "We really didn't have much of an idea coming in."

However, both parties came in amicably with notions of broadening horizons. "[buckner] really likes to challenge himself," Karpinski said. But Six Parts Seven didn't climb on the bill for more exposure, either. "It's another exploration, it's another chance to pull me out of my comfort zone," he said.

He added, with awed enthusiasm, "To enter into another artist's world is amazing."

Karpinski's optimism is essential on a tour such as this one, when the outcome of the show hinges so much on the headliner's mood. "You never know what [buckner] wants to do; it changes every night," he said, mentioning the stop in Chicago that saw Buckner take the stage sans band. However, the band doesn't take offense, with almost complete lack of expectations at the onset of the tour.

"Buckner is like the most chill dude imaginable," Karpinski said.

And ultimately, the band is getting more attention. With venues packed full of Buckner followers hanging on his every grunt and groan, audiences have pulled back and taken note of the hired hands behind him.

"Curious ears are a good thing," Karpinski said with an audible grin.

The songs from Meadow that he played full band sounded awesome.
Therein lies the difference ... at Schubas, despite the "Full Band" billing, Buckner played his entire set solo. I'm sure I'd've loved it if Six Parts Seven had joined him but alas, they did not. It was more than a little irritating because there is no way in hell I'd've paid to see the show if I'd known it'd be Buckner solo.

Rb

He played with the full band in St. Louis Saturday. Six Parts finished up their set and appeared to start packing up their stuff. They disappeared and then came back when Buckner took the stage. Interesting backing band for him -- a little more subdued than the backing band on Meadow, but still good.

Was funny watching three giddy sorority girls trying to dance to Buckner. Even Beatle Bob was not going near that.

How long did Buckner play?

Did he play songs off all albums, or did he focus on his new stuff?

I was on the way to see him in Lawrence the night before the St. Louis show, but Buckner canceled it the day of the show 'cause he got stuck in a snow bank in Iowa. Luckily, he wasn't hurt.

He's supposed to reschedule, but I'm doubting he'll have a backing band with him whenever that happens....we'll see.

How long did Buckner play?

Did he play songs off all albums, or did he focus on his new stuff?

He played about an hour and a half. He emphasized Meadow, but a had a few from Dents and Shells and Devotion and Doubt.

We had the pleasure of opening for Richard Buckner at the Turf Club in St Paul last week. I really enjoyed his performance, but then again, i'm a huge fan. The only other time i've seen him was last year, when Doug Gillard (GBV) toured with him.

Both mjpuczko (Matt) & Solace (Kyle) were there...but I think they both left during Buckner's set.