Boing Boom Tschak: Kraftwerk to play DEMF 2007

Detroit Techno Legend Derrick May is credited with describing Techno, the blend of funk and electronic music that he, Juan Atkins and Kevin Saunderson developed in the Detroit exurb of Belleville, as "...just like Detroit, a complete mistake. It’s like George Clinton and Kraftwerk stuck in an elevator."

When the Detroit Electronic Music Festival launched as a free, 3 day music festival Memorial Day weekend 2000, the organizers had no idea whether it would succeed and attract a crowd. 2 years later the festival was still going and the organizers were able to attract the largest crowd and spawn the most all-night after-parties due in part to getting one-half of May's equation to play the festival: George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic. 5 years after P-Funk's 2002 appearance and 3 festival organizers later, the other half of the equation will play DEMF.

DEMF's current promoters, Paxahau, took over the festival in 2006 after Derrick May and Kevin Saunderson took turns trying to keep the festival alive and free. Paxahau gave up on the latter goal to achieve the former. In 2006 festival goers were met with $10 daily entrance fee or $25 for the weekend. In 2007, Paxahau will again organize the fest and charge admission to the multi-stage, open air, public space Hart Plaza on Detroit's riverfront. And they'll have the best lineup in the history of the festival as well as a major concert draw in Kraftwerk.

Hawtin 'Slices' trailer

Kraftwerk 'Tour de France'

DEMF 2K7 Artists Announced to Date

Detroit Techno Legend Derrick May is credited with describing Techno, the blend of funk and electronic music that he, Juan Atkins and Kevin Saunderson developed in the Detroit exurb of Belleville, as "...just like Detroit, a complete mistake. It
the george clinton show in 2002 was great.

I was at that show, too. The performance was excellent, although I really don't like the main stage set up that they have at DEMF. Everyone is sooooooooooo far away from the stage. Probably works fine for the electronic acts, but for a show like George Clinton's, with so many musicians moving around and acting crazy, it was sort of a bummer to be so far away from the band. Even if you're way up front, you're not even close to the stage.

demf.jpg

That's one hell of a headliner. Hopefully, this will dispel my distaste from my 2005 experience.

Caught Kraftwerk in 2005. They were pretty good although it is like watching a piece of theatre, whether that lights your candle or not I don't know.

I even reviewed the show - rather badly too.