Old 97s - May 11 - Dallas

Nice, I'm gonna get them Friday when they go on sale. I'm really excited to see how this venue is going to turn out.

If you register (for free) with the HOB site, you can get in on the presale before then.

Tix are $35 for balcony and $22 for SRO, plus about 7-8 bucks service charge.

hmmm.... i wonder if seeing a 97's show in dallas would be better than seeing an old 97's show in NY? :hmm

i haven't seen them since 2005....

I would think since they're playing to their hometown crowd that the energy level should be sky-high ... couple that with the brand new venue and I'm hoping for some serious fireworks!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I wish I could make it to that show, that's going to be awesome. This place is really going to reinvigorate my desire to go to shows in Dallas, along side the Granada.

Man, I love the Old 97's as much as I love Wilco! Any one have any live gigs of

Rhett and the boys to trade? I have about 75 or so but must have more! I'd love

to see them in Dallas but will have to wait till they play Pitt or Philly.

:rock

Rockin' show!

Rhett and the boys played for about two solid hours. It started off a little shaky when the huge HOB patchwork-quilt curtain knocked over Murray's mic stand upon opening (his trademark "Hello Everybody!" had to wait until song #2). The band was ready from the get-go, but the soundboard wasn't. They opened with 504, but Rhett's mic was cutting in and out ... the overall sound was sort of muted for the first song and a half.

After the sound guy got it together, they kept the energy up and put on a really fun show! Lots of singing along and enthusiasm by the crowd. I had a nice bird's-eye-view from the 3rd row (left) in the balcony, except Philip was blocked by the speakers for the most part.

Ken kicked butt in his unassuming style (t-shirt and Vans), often working the front of the stage ... Rhett's swivel-hips were in full effect -- he was working up a sweat from the start. Murray was laid-back and looked cool as a cucumber in contrast to Rhett's soaked shirt and hyper stage presence. Told a funny story about his "Harry Potter's" ... Though I couldn't see Phillip from my vantagepoint, but he was rockin' solid and steady all night.

Highlights for me:

- Best for last ... Timebomb as a finale was incredible! Rhett broke a string and kept wailing. Ken kicked ass on it, too.

- Rhett's solo acoustic encore, featuring Question & Come Around, then he talked Murray into doing the same on Valentine.

- Big Brown Eyes (yeah!)

- Over the Cliff (don't call me cool ...)

- Coahuila (nice job, Ken)

- Getting a free parking voucher from a good samaritan in a West End parking lot.

- Not dying in a fiery crash on I-35 in Denton on the way down there.

Regrets:

- No Friends Forever or If My Heart Was a Car (but after a killer 2-hour set, that's just me being selfish)

Great looking venue. For their third night open, the staff was well prepared and friendly. The Shiner was cold (though pricey). The acoustics were magnificent. The amenities and interior decor were unique and hip with that N'awlans HOB vibe. Guys, be sure to check out the wallpaper in the 1st floor mensroom.

Opening act (the Small Stars) were eclectic (that's an understatement). Talented musicians with a very unique vibe. Their best song was a cover of Joe Ely's "That's What God Made Whiskey For" ... their funky-haired sax player (who looked like a cross between John Waters and Busta Rhymes in a retro leisure suit and patent leather shoes) could really wail.

Overall, a great night with the Mrs. (who went along despite her reservations and ended up having fun) ... A good time was had by all. My buddy, red1996, should have a review from the floor before too long.

:dancing

P.S. to SarahC, I'd also be interested in live stuff from Rhett (solo) as well as the band if you've got it ...

I've been waiting for this review all weekend!

Did you take any pictures?

Nice to see Over the Cliff is popping up again... :rock

Oh, and "504" :omg never seen that one.

I really really hope they get to TN soon, it's been too long...

[quote name='SarahC' date='May 13 2007, 04:49 PM' post='872439'

Did you take any pictures?

The HOB has a strict no camera policy, so I didn't even try. There were some youngsters in the front row (21ish I presume) that had a camera and took a few pics (with a flash no less) ... I'm sure they missed the posted restrictions. I expected the staff to take their camera away, but they didn't. A few camera phones, too, but not much.

yeah, it was a pretty good roadtrip - good food, good company, good show... all good! the Dallas HOB is a great place to see a show - from the floor, there's really not a bad spot - it's not very deep, so you're never too far from the stage. It got pretty crowded during the show, but nobody was pushing/shoving - people just having a good time - everybody singing and dancing and drinking - a really good vibe from the crowd and band during the show. I started out on the right side towards the front, went to the back for a while and got a Blue Moon, then went up close in front of Ken. I didn't know a whole lot of what they played, but it was a really upbeat show. Closing with a pretty raucous Timebomb was a nice way to end it... so if you get the chance to go to a show at the HOB, do it!