The Hold Steady - Columbus, 3/17

I know there are at least a few other Columbus people on this board, so I was curious if anybody else was at the show last night?

I've only been back in Columbus a couple months now and this was my first time being at the Newport since my college days. It was probably one of the smaller crowds I've ever seen that place--which really surprised me (OSU must be on spring break)--and I was actually kind of worried that the band would come out and be a little pissed at the so/so turnout, but it was all smiles all night long. The band looked like they were having a blast up there, and it totally carried over into the audience. Most fun rock n roll show I've seen in a very long time!

Evidently this was the HS's first visit to Columbus (Craig mentioned he played Bernie's for like nine people with his old band the last time he was in town). I'm hoping they come back a little more often cuz I'd love to see these guys again!

Bumping my own thread because it looked lonely with 0 replies.

It was a good show. Really. When the guitarist climbed up on top of the speaker stacks for his solo on "Killer Parties" and the Thermals came out and jammed with them. Anybody? No? Okay.

Already downloaded it yesterday! (want a copy?) :cheers

Hey, nice to see this thread get some action. (thanks for taking pity on me)

MyBoyBlue, I totally understand your "absolutely need to see them...and yet don't" comment. I felt the same way. Going into it, I really liked a lot of their stuff, but I started wavering at the last minute going "Gee, I dunno if I really feel like going after all." (which is what Peel is referring to, b/c she threatened to kick my ass if I didn't--or something) By the end of the night, I was like Belushi in the Blues Brothers when he sees the light. :worship

Not saying they're the greatest band in the history of mankind or anything, but they certainly put on the most energetic and fun rock show I've seen in a long time. The band is tight, and Craig is an incredibly charismatic frontman--flailing his arms, barking into the mic, and then just stepping back and smiling blissfully. He just looks like he's having the greatest time of his life up there--and its contageous. If any of you can happen to catch them when they're playing with the Thermals, all the better, because they make a nice combo. :yes

I found on YouTube--horrible sound, and ya gotta love the 5 second delay on the audio, but its fun just to watch them dance.