A Man Needs a Maid at Massey Hall

"Afraid...a man feels afraid..."

So emotionally raw and appropriate.

Wonder why he changed the lyric on Harvest?

Probably the same reason Elliott Smith took "I must make it through this afternoon" and made it "All day on easter afternoon".

Are there any recorded versions of the alternate ES lyric?

Yeah, I'd YSI but I don't know if that's allowed... cause it was the b-side to the Pretty Ugly Before 7" he released just before he died. It's better lyrically and it's got some cool keys on it but nothing beats the production on the album version. Double tracked drums? Heck yes!

I always skip past "A Man Needs A Maid" on Harvest, but it's one of my favourite performances on Massey Hall. Neil should have left that line alone because it reveals a deeper meaning. ... Or maybe that's why he took it out. (I've always thought the Robin Hood explanation was highly suspect. :lol)

I always skip past "A Man Needs A Maid" on Harvest, but it's one of my favourite performances on Massey Hall. Neil should have left that line alone because it reveals a deeper meaning. ... Or maybe that's why he took it out.

I skip that one too. I heard it on the radio the other day, and thought: Of all the Neil Young songs they could be playing...

Without all that orchestration plus the added benefit of the lyric change, I look forward to hearing the Massey Hall version.

I was shocked and brought to the edge the first time I heard the Massey Hall version. It's one of my very favorite Neil moments now. Maybe he wasn't prepared to let so much of his inner Neil to be seen for all of eternity on vinyl back then. I've never once to my knowledge skipped the Harvest version, I'm quite fond of it. I have run into a lady or two who didn't share my same fondness. B)

I was shocked and brought to the edge the first time I heard the Massey Hall version. It's one of my very favorite Neil moments now. Maybe he wasn't prepared to let so much of his inner Neil to be seen for all of eternity on vinyl back then. I've never once to my knowledge skipped the Harvest version, I'm quite fond of it. I have run into a lady or two who didn't share my same fondness. B)

Sweet Fancy Moses...here I am resonding to a response to my original thread...I need to get a life.

Maybe the reinforcement of the 'Afraid...a man feels afraid' was a little too overt for Neil.

The context was always there...and maybe he wasn't afraid anymore when he recorded it. (I always understood the 'Maid' line to be in the context of a married woman...in other words...a wife.)

Ah! I just listened to it. This was always my least favorite tune on Harvest but this solo version with the different lyrics is really haunting.

Also I think the highlight, at least for me, is when Neil says "I wrote this song in Vancouver" and three people applaud. Oh Toronto!

Ah! I just listened to it. This was always my least favorite tune on Harvest but this solo version with the different lyrics is really haunting.

Also I think the highlight, at least for me, is when Neil says "I wrote this song in Vancouver" and three people applaud. Oh Toronto!

How on earth could "A Man Needs a Maid" be inferior to "There's a World"?

Granted, both suffer from the same problems (over-orchestration), but at least there's a decent song underneath in "Maid".

To be fair, I never really liked either of those songs from Harvest. But probably disliked 'Maid' more cause it interrupts the "Out on the Weekend" - "Harvest" - "Heart of Gold" country vibe. But you're right, there is a good song underneath it, as I realized today.