J Robbins of Jawbox - news about his son

Yeah, its a tremendously sad situation. :( I have trouble even reading about it--I look at my own kids and wonder "what if" and can't imagine what they are all going through--emotionally, financially, you name it. Its pretty cool to see how other musicians are trying to pitch in to raise money and stuff. I would have loved to have gone home to DC to catch one of the Dismemberment Plan's reunion/benefit shows--seems like those shows sold out before word of them was even leaked. Which is wonderful, of course.(I wish they'd add more!) And I read about this stuff and wish I had more to give, myself. :( Jawbox was one of the anchors of the DC scene when I was coming of age, so I guess this hits home even moreso for me. I really feel for them. Hang in there, Cal.

Jawbox were one of the nicest bands I ever had the pleasure of spending time with. They stayed with me and some friends when they were touring in 1992. I still remember having a pleasant morning with them around the breakfast table munching on bagels and coffee.......I remember thinking at the time how surreal it was to be eating breakfast with one of my favorite bands. Salt of the earth. Kim C and I used to write letters/postcards to each other as well.....back in the days before the interweb. :)

I will definitely be sending something to them as soon as I am able. It is so heartening to see how the music scene has come together for them. As I was looking around, it looks as if there was a benefit for them here in Chicago earlier in the year - I wish I had known.