Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Fundraiser

For years now, I've been walking in a fundraiser for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.

Info on CF from the foundation:

Cystic fibrosis is an inherited chronic disease that affects the lungs and digestive system of about 30,000 children and adults in the United States (70,000 worldwide). A defective gene and its protein product cause the body to produce unusually thick, sticky mucus that clogs the lungs and leads to life-threatening lung infections, and obstructs the pancreas and stops natural enzymes from helping the body break down and absorb food.

In the 1950s, few children with cystic fibrosis lived to attend elementary school. Today, advances in research and medical treatments have further enhanced and extended life for children and adults with CF. Many people with the disease can now expect to live into their 30s, 40s and beyond.

Ireland has the largest percentage of CF carriers in the world; some of my in-laws in Ireland have a total of five children with CF, between three brothers and their wives. Irish-Americans are also affected. We walk on a team that was formed in support of a family that we knew as children. Several of them died in their teens, and the remaining family members were all screened for the CF gene before they had children. Despite this, one of them has a daughter with CF. Screening methods are still not 100%: there are more than 1,000 known mutations of the gene that causes CF, current tests look for the most common mutations.

If you'd like to support the walk, any donations would be very much appreciated. Info on the foundation and the on-line donation form can be found here.

Thanks,

Maudie

:lol Thanks, tumor girl.

It looks like not everyone's name is showing up, and it definitely takes a day or so for new donations to turn up on the page. So let's give it 24 hours before we start in on the ass-kicking!

:cheekkiss

I've gotten loads of on-line donations from some lovely VCers (and some people have sent checks, but I haven't figured out how to make your names show up on the page yet), so I just wanted to thank you all again.

And yes, this is another shameless bump. :dancing

• 1 year later...