Bring in Spring with Von

Generally I have stopped posting shows I go to, but I have a free Tuesday night in a couple weeks and I thought I would invite VCers to go with me to see Von Freeman once again. Von is now 84 and was recently written up in the Trib. Sadly he won't be around forever, so every opportunity to see him could be the last. If anyone is interested let me know.

LouieB

I need to check my work schedule for the morning of the 9th. I'll let you know later this week. also, since he doesn't come around VC much anymore, i'll send walrus an e-mail.
Please do. It would be good to see him.

Anyone else??

LouieB

Please do. It would be good to see him.

Anyone else??

LouieB

might be there

we'll see how the next week plays out with school

might be there

we'll see how the next week plays out with school

Trust me..it will be better than school (and work for that matter...) no wait seeing Von is like going to school.

LouieB

now that I am not working - and have a parking space - this might actually be do-able....... :thumbup
Take the Eisenhower, turn south on the Ryan, go east on 75th street, park, walk in, buy a bunch of drinks, dig Von....its easy.

LouieB

I'd like to, we'll see what the work schedule does.
EVen if you get off at 10, you should talk someone into bringing you down afterwards, since things don't get going full tilt until about 10:30, the first hour or so is just a chance to drink and hold down a seat.

LouieB

Bump..what the heck. I plan to stay to the bitter end for a change. I have never done that and I don't have to go to work the next day. Hope I can stay awake that long.

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

this isn't going to work for me. i've got a birthday dinner to attend in the evening and I have to be to work @ 8 the next morning.

also, I spoke with Walrus and he's going to be in Baltimore.

someday, i'll make it back to see Von. there needs to be a National holiday that falls on Wednesdays.

this isn't going to work for me. i've got a birthday dinner to attend in the evening and I have to be to work @ 8 the next morning.

someday, i'll make it back to see Von. there needs to be a National holiday that falls on Wednesdays.

No prob. Sorry you guys can't go, but I am going anyway. What the heck...anyone else?

Lou

How about Independence Day this year? Its on a Wednesday.

Well hardly anyone showed up for this (I invited other folks I knew, not just VCers and everyone pooped out), so let's try again on July 3. Von and company were very fun, but low key. He warmed up quicker than usual and the band was hot as always. Vonski reminded everyone that he would be 85 on his next birthday. The usual bartender seems to have given up her job at the New Apartment, although she did show up to hang with the customers and drink. (She held this gig down for 25 years.)

I suspect this is really the end of an era, so y'all can't miss this next time out.

LouieB

Well hardly anyone showed up for this (I invited other folks I knew, not just VCers and everyone pooped out), so let's try again on July 3. Von and company were very fun, but low key. He warmed up quicker than usual and the band was hot as always. Vonski reminded everyone that he would be 85 on his next birthday. The usual bartender seems to have given up her job at the New Apartment, although she did show up to hang with the customers and drink. (She held this gig down for 25 years.)

I suspect this is really the end of an era, so y'all can't miss this next time out.

LouieB

Back story on this please. It sounds interesting.

Back story on this please. It sounds interesting.
Wow, okay....but really maybe you should just PM me.

Von Freeman is one of the last of the Chicago tenor sax men. He has had a long term south side residency at the New Apartment Lounge (and before that at the Enterprise Lounge) every tuesday for free. The first time I saw him was at the Enterprise and he played with John Young. Now he plays with three young white musicians who kick ass too. After about an hour and a half playing with his band they call up singers and after that other instrumentalists of various ages (he had some HS kids a few years back who were super bad-ass) sit in, sometimes with a new rhythm section. In all the years I have gone to see Von I have never made it to the bitter end, which is into the wee hours of the morning.

The fact that this event is free, way off the beaten track, comfortable for everyone (old, young, black, white, Chicagoans, tourists, etc.) makes this a unique scene. When Von passes away this will be an event that also passes. Von is hanging in there and still plays great, but everyone has their limit. This is one of the last events of its kind, a real jam session that is loose and has no pretentions. Sometimes great stuff happens, sometimes it is sort of laughable, but it is always a good time.

As far as Von's history goes; he is a world class musician who stayed in Chicago and thus didn't get famous. He has a long history of recording, but his most recent (last 10 years) recordings on Premonition are quite good. Aside from the fact that he played with Charlie Parker in 1950, he also played and recorded with Andrew Hill when Andrew still lived in Chicago.

LouieB

In all the years I have gone to see Von I have never made it to the bitter end, which is into the wee hours of the morning.

LouieB

with no work the next day, I see no reason we can't pull this off in July :thumbup

Sorry I missed this. I ended up seeing Von at Manifest. And dam was he good. They did "Footprints" and some other stuff i wasnt familer with. My roomate got to play drums for him and said he was a blast to play with. I think there might have been a recording made, ill try and upload it if it happened.

with no work the next day, I see no reason we can't pull this off in July :thumbup
Yea, me either. Had I not had to go get Rosie the next day (and meet with Brother Ray's school counselor at 7 AM the next morning), I would have stayed alot longer.

jc-glad you got to see him. the manifest thing sounded fun, but I was pretty much out of town.

LouieB

Thanks for the heads up there, sounds a pretty great thing to drop into and see.
Come on over, I have met a few folks from outside the USA there.....even the bar itself is a trip, mirrored walls and ceiling, a couple long curvy bars circa 1950s, and all sorts of folks just dropping in for a drink from the neighborhood. Oh yea, they have a great juke box too, with lots of soul music on it.

LouieB