Jay Farrar Interview (metromix)

Too many e-mails!

Son Volt's Jay Farrar searches for an escape

By Matt Pais

E-mail story

Printer Friendly

Watch this!

Watch Son Volt's Jay Farrar perform "The Picture."

Jay Farrar's career has taken so many twists and turns that it's no wonder he's learned to just enjoy the ride.

The Belleville, Ill.-born singer for Son Volt--the alt-country act that recently released "The Search"--fronted Uncle Tupelo with Jeff Tweedy, now Wilco's frontman, before the two had a falling out. Farrar also gave life to two different incarnations of Son Volt, released several solo albums and collaborated with another group, Gob Iron.

From St. Louis, where he's now based, Farrar talked to us about "The Search," the makings of a Son Volt reality show, and his ownership--or lack thereof--of a former bandmate's albums.

If "The Search" was a reality show, what would it be?

Ah, boy

Do you own any Wilco records?

I do not, no.

I someones wonder if Jeff/Jay ever listen to the other's new album once released. Maybe in a private moment at home to sort of see where an old buddy is these days musically?

I mean, its human nature, right? All the BS notwithstanding, these guys had such a powerful connection and relationship with music for so long. You'd think they be interested in hearing what the other guy has done/is doing. Maybe not in a Lennon/McCartney/How Do You Sleep/Another Day sense, but at least privately, no?