detroit free press review of sbs

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID...130563/1035/ENT

Wilco mellows out

Band takes a step back from experimentation on 'Sky Blue Sky'

May 13, 2007

BY MARTIN BANDYKE

FREE PRESS SPECIAL WRITER

Decidedly mellower in sound than Wilco's past two releases, "A Ghost Is Born" (2004) and "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" (2002), "Sky Blue Sky" will undoubtedly appeal to those who prefer the more accessible side of the Chicago-based band. But listeners who favor its more experimental side simply would be silly to dismiss this recording's immediacy, freshness and sheer beauty.

"I will try to understand / Everything has its plan," sings front man Jeff Tweedy on the opener, "Either Way," and instantly you're in a calmer, more accepting Wilco world. Tweedy successfully battled an addiction to prescription pain medication and overcame issues with anxiety and depression. The tender lyrics reflect this in great measure.

Of course, there is more to the group's sixth studio album than a shinier, happier Tweedy. The 12 songs also sparkle because of gigantic contributions made by the other band members.

Wilco's best and most stable lineup to date still includes bassist John Stirratt, who along with Tweedy is a founding member, plus drummer Glenn Kotche, who joined just before "Foxtrot" was done. The newer recruits are keyboardist Mikael Jorgensen, guitarist Nels Cline and multi-instrumentalist Pat Sansone; all came aboard after the release of "Ghost."

All told, they make for a remarkably cohesive unit and are in amazing form on this recording, captured entirely at their Windy City loft studio with few overdubs and no use of gadgetry such as Pro Tools or click tracks.

After Tweedy reached his abstruse limit singing about American aquarium drinkers and spiders doing tax returns on his previous two albums, it's a refreshing change to hear him sound so direct and emotional on the title track, where he gratefully acknowledges: "Oh, I didn't die/ I should be satisfied I survived/ That's good enough for me." With Cline joining him with some Byrds-gone-country lap steel guitar, you've got something that may not be experimental, but is extraordinary.

For those who still want some of that wild, mercurial Wilco sound, "Shake It Off" and "Walken" will fit the bill. Both are loaded with guitar pyrotechnics, explosive drum fills and unpredictable chord progressions reminiscent of late '60s, early '70s prog-rock with even a little, yep, ZZ Top thrown in for good measure.

Book-ending "Either Way" is "on and on and on," one lulu of a poignant track that was written by Tweedy for his father after his mother passed on. As sublime a song as the band has ever recorded, it is a fitting and beautiful album closer.

It is, since a lot of us have been reading all the press on this record we can find, I think out of sheer curiosity. But they need something to tie the story up, something from the lyrics, and those aren't a bad place to start. Its only unfortunate when they misquote the lyrics or talk about Blue Sky Blue. I will still take that over: Jeff Tweedy leaves rehab and makes flowery sunshine record with out a trace of experimentalism.

I think every SBS review I've read has quoted, "Oh, I didn't die/ I should be satisfied I survived/ That's good enough for me." and something from "Either Way".

also, i dont think i've read one that doesnt mention something about rehab