I got $55 worth of gift certs to the local indie record shop for graduation. I spent a hour there yesterday but left empty handed. Nothing struck my fancy. Can anyone out there offer a suggestion or two? Recent purchases include the Electric Warrior reissue, We Are The Pipettes, and Jon Rauhouse's Steel Guitar Air Show.

Oh, and I'm also in the group of folks still awaiting their SBS vinyl preorder.

i'll bite

deerhunter-cryptograms: part ambient, part punkish paranoid freakout

ponys- turn the light out: garage rock psychedelia

lcd soundsystem: sounds of silver: i don't usually listen to this kind of music but what great songs. "all my firends" and "north american scum" are worth it, alone.

and if you want a little bakersfield styled country see if you can track down a two dollar pistols cd, especially "you ruined everything."

How about Of Montreal?

A little rock and techno merged well together - Has a Bowie flavor.

I would recommend -

Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?

Satanic Panic In the Attic

The Sunlandic Twins - Outback Restaurant uses Wraith Pinned To The Mist and Other Games in their

TV commercial.

:dance

Andrew Bird -- Can't go wrong with Mysterious Production of Eggs or Armchair Apocrypha (

M. Ward -- Post War is amazing, as is everything else.

The National -- Boxer

John Frusciante -- To Record Only Water for ten Days and Shadows Collide With People

I think most of those are 'indie' enough :)

wait... we're talking about The National right? goth? what?

I only heard that one song Mistaken for Strangers. But it smacked of an I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness vibe that gets me to harken back to the Cure and Echo and the Bunnymen. Which were fine, I suppose, in their own right (the latter, at least), but not my thing. And just try to tell me Fake Empire doesn't have that Nick Cave vocal going for it.

Then again, what do I know?

I'll probably just end up getting Black Light on CD. Just moved and have yet to hook up my turntable, and am going through serious Calexico withdrawl.

i'll bite

lcd soundsystem: sounds of silver: i don't usually listen to this kind of music but what great songs. "all my firends" and "north american scum" are worth it, alone.

and if you want a little bakersfield styled country see if you can track down a two dollar pistols cd, especially "you ruined everything."

I was about to say the same, definetly a bitchin CD.